Orange Tip and a Red Admiral(correction).

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
This one wouldn't play ball.
uKkrUD.jpg

1HK5mw.jpg

Couple of nice butterflies, first is correct and the second is a Red Admiral.

Yeah the ones here just dont stop flying. You need to do an early morning hunt for them before they warm up and take flight.

Hi and welcome to the macro and close up section, you will get lots of help here as I did.
There are lots of good pages on the internet to look at with regards to butterflies or whatever.
http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/index.php is one or even look at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/index.php both are very good for ID`s
Thank you graham, that will be helpful. So far I am still mainly just taking my camera and getting out of the house as I had a habit of watching TV too much haha.
I am taking pictures of all sorts at the moment, practicing and getting the hang of the camera settings to get the best shots. Obviously this is limited by the camera, but I do like to identify what I get pictures of too!

Thank you graham, that will be helpful. So far I am still mainly just taking my camera and getting out of the house as I had a habit of watching TV too much haha.
I am taking pictures of all sorts at the moment, practicing and getting the hang of the camera settings to get the best shots. Obviously this is limited by the camera, but I do like to identify what I get pictures of too!
I dont know if you are on social media but FB has lots of groups and also a insect ID group.
Looking forward to your photos on here with improvements.

What camera and flash setup are you using, always good to know?

ah ok, thats a bridge camera, lots can be done still and there is one other in here that used one although he uses a Lumix one, same principle though.

Yeah, It is limited. Also none of these shots were taken using the camera's macro focus either.
In this shot I used my Tamron 150-600 G2 lens, Just because a camera has a macro feature it does not mean it has to be used.

Peacock by Graham, on Flickr

Bridge cameras are good for macro, l have used them for years with an attachment called a raynox close up lens which clips on the front. They get you up close for smaller critters. Search the net for raynox close up lenses.
Oh your cabbage White is a female Orange tip. You've taken some nice butterfly shots with the canon, l have had that camera too btw ;)

Bridge cameras are good for macro, l have used them for years with an attachment called a raynox close up lens which clips on the front. They get you up close for smaller critters. Search the net for raynox close up lenses.
Oh your cabbage White is a female Orange tip. You've taken some nice butterfly shots with the canon, l have had that camera too btw ;)
Haha, corrected again! I have a set of close-up lenses that screw onto my filter adapter at +1, +2, +5 & +10.

Those screw in adapter are just like using a magnify glass and not that good although l have seen a few shots that were OK. The raynox ones are a million miles better but more expensive. If you get into this addictive branch of photography you may find yourself investing into better equipment. We've all done it in the past.

Those screw in adapter are just like using a magnify glass and not that good although l have seen a few shots that were OK. The raynox ones are a million miles better but more expensive. If you get into this addictive branch of photography you may find yourself investing into better equipment. We've all done it in the past.
No doubt I will eventually. I have a feeling that I will probably end up moving to a DSLR in the future, but not until I am entirely sure which route I want to take.

No doubt I will eventually. I have a feeling that I will probably end up moving to a DSLR in the future, but not until I am entirely sure which route I want to take.
2nd hand cameras are worth a look at.

Well done with those.

The SX50 is fine for macro. I used an S3is and then an SX10, both with Raynox close-up lenses. For example, the images in this post used the SX10.

I started with the Raynox 250 but you may find the Raynox 150 better to start with - it is easier to use than the 250. In fact, I use the Raynox 150 most of the time for insects, spiders etc.

I'm now using a different bridge camera, a Panasonic FZ330, but the results are much the same as with the Canons.

FWIW I do have a dSLR (Canon 70D) and micro four thirds cameras (G3, G5 and now G80). I have used them with macro lenses, extension tubes and close-up lenses. However, for insects etc I prefer to use a bridge camera and close-up lenses. So personally I don't think of a bridge camera as "second best" for this sort of photography. The best camera is the one that works best in your hands. (And in my case, the best camera for flowers is not a bridge camera.)

Last edited:
Back