Orange tip Butterflies

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Nice images Alf,
Having just bought the same lens but without TC, I can see how useful it would be.
I am holding out for the 2x when it is released.

You've got to love the 'orange tip on cuckoo flower' shot for a UK nature photo. Great stuff.

Nice images Alf,
Having just bought the same lens but without TC, I can see how useful it would be.
I am holding out for the 2x when it is released.

Thanks Alan
I acn see the 2X TC being useful but expensive and it be a while off

You've got to love the 'orange tip on cuckoo flower' shot for a UK nature photo. Great stuff.

Thanks Mr Badger

I find the last shot just a little too tight - I'd personally prefer the antennae not to be cut off at the top and maybe taken slightly further back. The colour and detail however are great.

I really like 2, and I like 1 also but it feels a little like you are looking down on it, not sure how to explain it, would be interesting I guess to see it shot from a slighter lower angle (I accept butterflies don't tend to hang around that long!

All in all a great set though, just minor niggles, I'd be happy with all of them!

I find the last shot just a little too tight - I'd personally prefer the antennae not to be cut off at the top and maybe taken slightly further back. The colour and detail however are great.

I really like 2, and I like 1 also but it feels a little like you are looking down on it, not sure how to explain it, would be interesting I guess to see it shot from a slighter lower angle (I accept butterflies don't tend to hang around that long!

All in all a great set though, just minor niggles, I'd be happy with all of them!

If the anennae were in focus and leaving the frame I would dislike it but as it does not include the whole insect and they OOF I am OK with it

I tried to rotate 1 to get it level to reduce that effect but I wanted to keep the whole flower so ended up with this I am still getting used to shooting this way so maybe next I will get that sort of thing right next time
Thanks Al

Last edited:
Really nice Alf I like all of them I see what akr is getting at with the first shot but I don’t think you would have got parallel with the wings with a lower angle
Do you happen to know if that is the food plant ?
I saw one on the same plant in our garden but didn’t manage a shot

Really nice Alf I like all of them I see what akr is getting at with the first shot but I don’t think you would have got parallel with the wings with a lower angle
Do you happen to know if that is the food plant ?
I saw one on the same plant in our garden but didn’t manage a shot

Thanks Pete
Cuckoo flowers are where the adults hang out

https://butterfly-conservation.org/butterflies/orange-tip

What do you think?

I think it is a pleasing set Alf.

I might have cropped #2 a bit differently, on the right (and/or shifted the subject to the right if there was space available on the left). I'm fine with the OOF antenna touching the top edge in #3. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been mentioned; my eye was drawn straight in to the head and stamens.

I think it is a pleasing set Alf.

I might have cropped #2 a bit differently, on the right (and/or shifted the subject to the right if there was space available on the left). I'm fine with the OOF antenna touching the top edge in #3. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been mentioned; my eye was drawn straight in to the head and stamens.

Thanks Nick

Back