Interesting shot.
Never tried anything like it.
Is this hard to achieve?
How can one do this effect?

Interesting shot.
Never tried anything like it.
Is this hard to achieve?
How can one do this effect?

Hi and thanks, it's not that hard to do with a little practice, there are a lot of different guides on how to do it and how to make the tools on youtube...

However in my case this is done with a tool that I made to be attached to a cordless drill..using all parts that are basically off the shelf with a little bit of DIY, using battery powered LED packs, some aluminum ducting and nut and bolts

I did a post about the making of the tool a few months back on my page that can be found here

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1112869642063632&id=619551451395456

(Link now working)

Last edited:
I can't quite put my finger on it but for me it just isn't working. If I had to nail it down to something, I'd say that a) the composition needs work (cutting the edge of the left hand ball spoils the shot for me) and b) the ambient light levels are too high - I think it may have worked better if you'd waited for the light levels to drop still further. Also I think the whole scene seems a bit 'sterile'. Nice technique, though - it shows really promise.

I can't quite put my finger on it but for me it just isn't working. If I had to nail it down to something, I'd say that a) the composition needs work (cutting the edge of the left hand ball spoils the shot for me) and b) the ambient light levels are too high - I think it may have worked better if you'd waited for the light levels to drop still further. Also I think the whole scene seems a bit 'sterile'. Nice technique, though - it shows really promise.

Thanks for the feedback (y) I get where your coming from on the point of cutting off the orbs out of frame although that was a deliberate composition choice for this particular photo rather than any kind if mistake...I also get what you mean about the ambient light..

The one bit I'm not totally clear on is what you mean by the scene being a bit sterile, I wonder could you elaborate on this point?

To be honest, it's purely subjective - more an opinion from the heart than the brain! Keep up the good work :)

Fair enough but I am genuinely interested in what you meant (y)

Great image & something I wanted to try last year but with fire, didn't get around to it though.
Hopefully this winter will be dry & I can get out & practice.

Great image & something I wanted to try last year but with fire, didn't get around to it though.
Hopefully this winter will be dry & I can get out & practice.

Thanks Paul, your plans sound like fun so I look forward to seeing some images that come from it (y)

Thanks Matthew
I think I will have to ensure I am in an open space & my life insurance is fully paid up before starting this project.

Thanks Matthew
I think I will have to ensure I am in an open space & my life insurance is fully paid up before starting this project.

It's always more fun when you have to do a risk assessment first :p

I have to agree with Jason, i've been looking at this website for ages, and some of the picture I've seen from you are truly stunning, wool, orbs, light trails. Here i can't see at all what you have tried with the composition. The buildings just don't do it for me, maybe a wider perspective with a bit more of these tower. I understand the orb going from foreground to moving between the building you did but you need more "location interest" or "architectural strong lines" to make it work better. As Jason, i can't really point out exactly what i mean, i think it's just too tight frame (after i don't mind the cut-off orbs it can work)

Last edited:
You already know that you've got it nailed with technique on these light-painting shots, and I couldn't make any comments on the technical side if I wanted to!
What I do really like about the composition though is the camera angle you've chosen to keep the orbs below the horizon line.

But . . . I've been looking at this for the last 10 minutes, trying to work out what's not quite working for me.
I'm getting the same sort of feeling as @Bardo and @Lemaildetom
It's not the 'cut-off' orb. That works really nicely for me as a composition element to draw me in and give a sense of movement in the orbs from the foreground through the gap.
And it's not the light levels in the sky. That's actually really lovely. Just the right amount of glow and cloud detail.

I think what's not quite gelling is the way that the arches(?) are cut off midway through at the top of the frame.
They give a good dark background for the orbs to stand out against, but without something to give them more shape / definition I feel like too much of the frame is dominated by an element that doesn't hold a LOT of interest.
Certainly wouldn't have wanted to see more light painting on them. IMO that would ruin the atmosphere of the shot and detract from the orbs.
Maybe shooting in a portrait format to give more space above and fit in the whole of that structure against the sky would have given me what I'm missing here - Love the main composition exactly as it is but with it extended to more height I think that would have addressed the part that doesn't quite sit right with it.

Hope you're well and the fact that you're out light painting again means that your health issues are all behind you now.

Sorry to hear that your back from health problem math. So i do hope your on the mend and looking forward to see more stuff from you. Take care.

I have to agree with Jason, i've been looking at this website for ages, and some of the picture I've seen from you are truly stunning, wool, orbs, light trails. Here i can't see at all what you have tried with the composition. The buildings just don't do it for me, maybe a wider perspective with a bit more of these tower. I understand the orb going from foreground to moving between the building you did but you need more "location interest" or "architectural strong lines" to make it work better. As Jason, i can't really point out exactly what i mean, i think it's just too tight frame (after i don't mind the cut-off orbs it can work)

All fair points (y) I could have used 14mm over 24mm that I did use but was concerned I'd make the light painting to insignificant, might try that next time I'm there

When you have the local fire brigade on standby, then you know your in trouble.
However it would make a good image lol

This is starting to sound like my kind of fun now :p

You already know that you've got it nailed with technique on these light-painting shots, and I couldn't make any comments on the technical side if I wanted to!
What I do really like about the composition though is the camera angle you've chosen to keep the orbs below the horizon line.

But . . . I've been looking at this for the last 10 minutes, trying to work out what's not quite working for me.
I'm getting the same sort of feeling as @Bardo and @Lemaildetom
It's not the 'cut-off' orb. That works really nicely for me as a composition element to draw me in and give a sense of movement in the orbs from the foreground through the gap.
And it's not the light levels in the sky. That's actually really lovely. Just the right amount of glow and cloud detail.

I think what's not quite gelling is the way that the arches(?) are cut off midway through at the top of the frame.
They give a good dark background for the orbs to stand out against, but without something to give them more shape / definition I feel like too much of the frame is dominated by an element that doesn't hold a LOT of interest.
Certainly wouldn't have wanted to see more light painting on them. IMO that would ruin the atmosphere of the shot and detract from the orbs.
Maybe shooting in a portrait format to give more space above and fit in the whole of that structure against the sky would have given me what I'm missing here - Love the main composition exactly as it is but with it extended to more height I think that would have addressed the part that doesn't quite sit right with it.

Hope you're well and the fact that you're out light painting again means that your health issues are all behind you now.

Hi Sarah, I see exactly what you mean shooting portrait would have allowed the full arch in, something for next time :)

And yes fully fighting fit again, been back on the road since Jan, only took about 16 months to recover from the crash :(

Sorry to hear that your back from health problem math. So i do hope your on the mend and looking forward to see more stuff from you. Take care.

Thanks yes I had a nasty car crash, hope not to do it again ;)

I saw this on Flickr Matt, great as always.

I need to change my orbs from wire to a conduit and drill like your much more consistent orbs (y)

I saw this on Flickr Matt, great as always.

I need to change my orbs from wire to a conduit and drill like your much more consistent orbs (y)

Cheers Billy, and yes it's a much easier/consistent meathod for the orbs ;) I've just got to refine the switch a little and I'll be very happy then

Back