Critique Ordesa Valley afternoon and sunset

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Posting probably my best and 5th trip to the Ordesa Valley in the Pyrenees. Bit of a lung buster to get here but the views are out of this world worth it in a way that's just not possible back home.

On arrival the light was a little harsh but the clouds and atmospherics were top notch. It was a shame the Autumn colour wasn't a little further on but this set the tone nicely.

_DSC5163 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Deeper into the afternoon you get these wonderful plays of light and shadow. Now I can probably push the shadows out further but I like the contrast as is

_DSC5169 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Then the light got very nice but the sky was losing interest...

_DSC5213 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC5217 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Always good to face the other way but this particular face gets the light better in the morning so next year mad early start to do this treck...

_DSC5221 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

It was @Kevin O'Brian who said to me when we met many years back - always look behind you - sage words that have lingered with me ever since. Here it's a case of look to your side though but the point is the same...be open to other shots where you are. These weren't the intended shots - but the keepers from the day. Two compositions here - one without the trees on the right I preferred at the time...once with the trees on the right I prefer now...

_DSC5239 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC5246 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC5248 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

For next year - later in the Autumn to get more colour here and maybe some hill top snow.

Last edited:
5163 - nice; the cloud shadow on the right-hand wall, and the shadowed wall behind the waterfall, make it. 5246 - the way the sunlit portions of the two gorge walls meet is lovely; also the smaller amount of the right-hand wall than in 5248 and 5239 works better. At least in my subjective view.....

First one might be the best. Then the third and 2nd post 1st. I want the light all the way down which I why I am picking these. I am not bothered about the lack of autumn colours; it would barely make the trees blend in with the rocks. Green stands out well.
I'd like to see them much bigger to really appreciate what it is really like out there.

First one might be the best. Then the third and 2nd post 1st. I want the light all the way down which I why I am picking these. I am not bothered about the lack of autumn colours; it would barely make the trees blend in with the rocks. Green stands out well.
I'd like to see them much bigger to really appreciate what it is really like out there.

On my big screen they are banging. The light all the way down is a good and fair comment - the problem - the nicer the light, the less there is. I've spent a lot of evenings up here and you get the light fall only on the top right bit as the light gets really golden.

At full Autumn colour it looks great - but it was grey low cloud misery and I want autumn colour, hill top snow and a mega sky all at once. I will get this done at some point.

First post for me 3rd one is head and shoulders above the others.

I love clouds swirling round mountain peaks, but compared to the others it has real balance and gives your eye somewhere to end up in the photo.

Great advice from Kevin, second post, 1st one has a very dramatic feel with the scale of the rock face and the clouds hanging over the top. Nice one.

Back