South-East England Orford Ness

Name
David Williams
Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone

I have just booked a Photography Tour with the National Trust to Orford Ness in Suffolk in April.

I have read all the joining instructions which seem pretty clear but I'm wondering is anyone has been there and had some pointers, mainly as to what type of subjects are covered during the day - and any pointers on equipment (I have lots :))

Thanks in advance

David

I've sailed past it but never landed there.
The most interesting image I've seen of the island are generally close-up or macros, as it's very open/exposed. I guess some great bird shots are probably also possible...

Personally I prefer the castle - great views from the roof!

Hello David,

I did the same trip a few years ago. As Mike said macro is good and I used my wide angle lenses mostly. Assuming the same itinerary you go inside some dimly-lit places so fast lenses or flash would be useful.
Didn't see any wildlife at all on the day trip.

Trevor

Be good if you can get in to the old weapons testing area

I went last year, saw one hare (they live on the shingle area of the old AWRE site, as well as the grasslands) You will find the areas you are allowed in varies according to the decay and weather - if it’s windy there’s loose metal that swings about in the roofs and glass. The guides we had on my tour said every year there’s less they can take you into. We were lucky and got inside a pagoda as well as the old firing control room. It seems access depends also on who takes your tour and how sensible they think you all are! As well as wide angle I found I used a tele zoo to isolate detail

Last edited:
I went last year, saw one hare (they live on the shingle area of the old AWRE site, as well as the grasslands) You will find the areas you are allowed in varies according to the decay and weather - if it’s windy there’s loose metal that swings about in the roofs and glass. The guides we had on my tour said every year there’s less they can take you into. We were lucky and got inside a pagoda as well as the old firing control room. It seems access depends also on who takes your tour and how sensible they think you all are! As well as wide angle I found I used a tele zoo to isolate detail

Thanks for that, to be honest I'm not expecting too much, it will be a day out with my camera away from the wife and kids, as long as it doesn't pour with rain I'll be happy :)

David

Thanks for that, to be honest I'm not expecting too much, it will be a day out with my camera away from the wife and kids, as long as it doesn't pour with rain I'll be happy :)

David
You call that not expecting much?
Have a great time :)

You lucky person! I went last autumn and found it really interesting. I used my 70-200 2.8L on my 6d mainly as we were kept to concrete paths most of the time. The NT man was good at telling us all about the buildings, but us togs were just keen to photograph them all! Lots of metal and decay everywhere. I heard the other day that the iconic lighthouse had been damaged in the recent storms and may need to be demolished. There is a book you can buy (£10) about the place, I bought it for my old man, but ended up reading it first! I did google ‘photography at Orford Ness’ first which gave me some ideas, one of my images is in my 52’s. Have fun, do report back!

Last edited:
Back