Orion Nebula

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Another holiday snap (it's okay - there are only six and this is the last one I'm showing here, although there are more on Flickr if anyone's interested).
The Orion Nebula Messier 42 (and the 'head' on the end which is Messier 43) probably needs little introduction. Taken with a modified Canon 350D on a 200mm reflector - Orion was low to the south east with a lot of moisture in the atmosphere, hence the haloing round the bright stars. 20 each of 15s, 30s and 60s subs (the 60s taken on two different nights) integrated as three separate images then combined using PixInsight's HDR process. PP done in PixInsight with the final tweaks in PaintShop Pro.
To the left is part of the Running Man nebula.

Messier 42 and 43 (Orion Nebula) by Jannyfox, on Flickr

Very nice capture, with the triangulum well resolved.

Nice one!!! I think though that you've clipped the blacks a little and so lost some detail i the dark stuff. There's some great dust etc around Orion that it's a terrible shame to lose, even if you have just a hint of it :)

Nice one!!! I think though that you've clipped the blacks a little and so lost some detail i the dark stuff. There's some great dust etc around Orion that it's a terrible shame to lose, even if you have just a hint of it :)

I wouldn't disagree with you Sara, though it does look better in PaintShop than on Flickr and here. I struggled with the sky - even after extracting the background it suffered the effects of the low elevation and the skyglow that gets worse and worse, made worse still by the moisture. I may be better keeping the sky lighter and a bit of a mess for the sake of the fainter stuff in the nebula. I can always have another go at it.

I think it's lovely, keep them all coming please :)

Thank you. The joys of '1-click HDR' (actually not quite as simple as it sounds. It took me a few attempts and quite a lot of post processing).
I would just be happy for a clear night, ever since i bought my new Atik 314L+ OSC it's been nothing but clouds and rain, typical :(.

I would just be happy for a clear night, ever since i bought my new Atik 314L+ OSC it's been nothing but clouds and rain, typical :(.

That always happens when you get a new bit of kit :( I don't have my own photography scope at home partly for that reason. These were taken in the Algarve a few weeks ago with someone else's scope. My partner has a CCD camera and 200mm scope. He's found that at full Moon (it's always clear at full Moon isn't it?), as long as he can keep a guide star he can do narrow banding, but even so he feels your frustration. Me I don't care so long as I get out occasionally with my camera either on a borrowed scope or with the long lens on, with the odd bit of visual if I feel really enthusiastic I'm in the slow process of digitising 150 sketches I've done over the years before I add any more. I've done 25............I have a 150mm on an alt az and an equatorial mount that isn't hefty enough to carry a scope + camera but I can't carry anything beefier.

[QUOTE="(it's always clear at full Moon isn't it?)[/QUOTE]
I hate to say it but yep, every time, i wish i could send our dear Mr Murphy off to the moon :)

Back