Orionid meteor shower

Excellent work on both the foreground and the sky Neil.
I like how the circular pattern in the soil comes in off the bottom left and leads nicely to the structure then into the sky.
You were blessed with a decent sky for the shower too.
I admore your commitment to get to thos final shot(y)

Excellent work on both the foreground and the sky Neil.
I like how the circular pattern in the soil comes in off the bottom left and leads nicely to the structure then into the sky.
You were blessed with a decent sky for the shower too.
I admore your commitment to get to thos final shot(y)
Thank you :)

Minor observation,

I might have cropped the bottom the photo out...

But still an awesome skyscape...
Thanks Mark , I did try it cropped but liked the curved lines leading in too much so kept it as is!

Last edited:
Great work, well done (y)

Terrific work, well done!
Thanks Peter :)

Can I ask Neil ... how did you determine what the foreground exposure time should be so precisely?
It wasn't so precise Stuart, I used LE calculator on my phone to give me a rough time on my phone. The first one I got completely wrong at 4min so I just added a few more mins and upped the ISO to 4000. I didn't want to go any longer than 8mins as I tend to get a lot more hot pixels if I go beyond it.

excellent
Thanks Heath :)

A great shot and good effort, but the meteors should all be radiating from the same point in the sky ie Orion. They more than likely are in real time as 300 x 30secs ? equates to 2 1/2 hours of exposure and the radiant point would move roughly 37.5' in this time frame. When you have stacked them they look like random meteors with no set radiant point. Still a great shot and thanks for posting.
Ps I noticed a cloud in the picture but how all the others, if there are not to many then a star trail with all these images would be awesome.

A great shot and good effort, but the meteors should all be radiating from the same point in the sky ie Orion. They more than likely are in real time as 300 x 30secs ? equates to 2 1/2 hours of exposure and the radiant point would move roughly 37.5' in this time frame. When you have stacked them they look like random meteors with no set radiant point. Still a great shot and thanks for posting.
Ps I noticed a cloud in the picture but how all the others, if there are not to many then a star trail with all these images would be awesome.
Hi Martin, I have taken the shot from several images, and the meteors were going in various directions, so are the lines I picked up not meteors? I can send you some shots if it helps, obviously I used bit of artistic licence in some of the processing but definitely got them in all directions on camera.

And the cloud i left in from one of the frames, using it as a base point.

Last edited:

Really interested in what you have said regarding the meteors and would like to send you a couple of the jpg frames to show what i recorded on camera. Yes I used artists license on the shot to make it more visually appealing, but the Meteors were going in various directions. Perhaps because I moved the angle slightly after an hour of recording then put in some of these meteors as well, so they might not come from the same point of direction?

Interested in this as I would like to know for any future work i create.

Meteors were captured at 13s ISO3000 F2.8 , I caught roughly 20, some a lot stronger than others.

Hi Martin, I have taken the shot from several images, and the meteors were going in various directions, so are the lines I picked up not meteors? I can send you some shots if it helps, obviously I used bit of artistic licence in some of the processing but definitely got them in all directions on camera.

And the cloud i left in from one of the frames, using it as a base point.

Hi Neil, they look like meteors on my iPad. Like I mentioned the radiant would be moving quite a bit across the sky in that time frame and also there was another minor shower with a different radiant on that night. The easiest way to check that they are meteors and not satellites or flares from satellites or old rocket bodies would be to check the frames each side of the one with the meteor, if the line continues then it is not usually a meteor as the timeframe is too long. Example are the bright iridium flares whilst the brightest part of the flare last a few seconds you can capture the whole flare in about 90 seconds. Meteors also tend to have some colour in them were as anything reflecting the sun is just white light.

Really interested in what you have said regarding the meteors and would like to send you a couple of the jpg frames to show what i recorded on camera. Yes I used artists license on the shot to make it more visually appealing, but the Meteors were going in various directions. Perhaps because I moved the angle slightly after an hour of recording then put in some of these meteors as well, so they might not come from the same point of direction?

Interested in this as I would like to know for any future work i create.

Meteors were captured at 13s ISO3000 F2.8 , I caught roughly 20, some a lot stronger than others.

Hi yes feel free to send me some jpegs. Moving direction would move the radiant point as well as it moving over the time frame. If you had kept the same direction and it was a clear night then you could have got your meteor shots and used the images for a longer star trail as opposed to 2 shorter trails from each position of the camera.

Hi Neil, they look like meteors on my iPad. Like I mentioned the radiant would be moving quite a bit across the sky in that time frame and also there was another minor shower with a different radiant on that night. The easiest way to check that they are meteors and not satellites or flares from satellites or old rocket bodies would be to check the frames each side of the one with the meteor, if the line continues then it is not usually a meteor as the timeframe is too long. Example are the bright iridium flares whilst the brightest part of the flare last a few seconds you can capture the whole flare in about 90 seconds. Meteors also tend to have some colour in them were as anything reflecting the sun is just white light.
Ah ok , I then think the first 4-5 were meteors as its makes sense as they were near enough in same direction. I then changed the camera angle to point higher in the sky and recorded another 100+ shots, but this time I got hardly any meteors but I did get some faint lines like you have mentioned so possibly could be satellites? You can see a couple of them really faint in the flickr shot. There was also colour in a few of them, but in processing I think thats been lost.

Hi yes feel free to send me some jpegs. Moving direction would move the radiant point as well as it moving over the time frame. If you had kept the same direction and it was a clear night then you could have got your meteor shots and used the images for a longer star trail as opposed to 2 shorter trails from each position of the camera.
Cheers Martin, i've sent a PM!

Back