Orkneys in September

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
After having our holiday of a lifetime cancelled three weeks before we were due to go I am trying to get an alternative spot - I realize that it may not be the 'best' timeof year to go to the Orkneys but anyone have any feedback on what wildlife will be around? Thanks

John

I haven't been to Orkney in September but even though some of the migratory birds might have left, or be reduced in numbers, there will still be plenty of residents. It is a superb place and well worth a visit. Although there are a large number of islands it is a relatively compact place and easy to get around. A tour of most of the Mainland could be done easily in a day. Hoy is worth a visit, not only to see the Old Man but there has been a successful breeding of a pair of white tailed eagles this year. Although my visit was in June I got the impression that the place is full of birds - about 50+ species in 10 days, without really trying at all.

It is also a great place for archeological sites. If you are interested in this, I recommend a visit to Rousay.

Dave

Apparently Shetland is good for vagrants at that time of year, but might not be good for photographing them.

My dad was in charge of a Italian p.o.w camp somewhere on the Orkney isles during the war , apparently he never failed to come home on leave without eggs and ,fresh steak so there’s got to be stuff around up there

My dad was in charge of a Italian p.o.w camp somewhere on the Orkney isles during the war , apparently he never failed to come home on leave without eggs and ,fresh steak so there’s got to be stuff around up there

Lamb Holm? Where the Italian Chapel is, funnily enough built by the Italian PoWs. There's nothing left of the camp but the chapel is a must visit. The prisoners built the causeways connecting the islands that the road now runs over, but you can still see the block ships that were sunk there to keep submarines out of Scapa Flow (too late for the Royal Oak). The whole place is steeped in history, whatever era you happen to be interested in. We went there in October, I think, about a hundred years ago, and were surprised at how good the weather was. I can't comment on the wildlife as it was before I was into wildlife photography and we only had 2 days there (plus 2 days to get there and 2 days to get home again). Given the chance I'd go back right now - fantastic place.

Thank you for your comments - we are staying for a week near the Italian Chapel, and another at the other end of 'Mainland'. Thanks for your help

A lot of my toys when I was growing up were made by the p.o.w’s i Had quiet a few planes made out of Perspex . And a very large wooden destroyer , according to what he told me when he was on night patrol he would occasionally accidentally shoot a cow or a sheep to supplement camp food supplies, hence the toys .

Thank you for your comments - we are staying for a week near the Italian Chapel, and another at the other end of 'Mainland'. Thanks for your help

Should have mentioned the excellent WalkHighlands site. It has lots of walks all over Scotland and scores on Orkney. Even if you don't want to walk it is a good source of information about many places.

Dave

From memory most of Orkney is fairly low-lying and quite heavily farmed., although there may still be patches of moorland left. The coast is probably good for otters?

Hoy is the big exception - I rememebr it being very wild.

Perhaps some of the smaller outlying islands would be accessible on day visits?

Back