Osprey Pair

SKM

Edit My Images
No
My last Florida shot of the burrowing owl family got little response so hopefully perhaps a pair of ospreys may do better. A male and female shot near the fishing pier at Sanibel

Stan

1/1000, f8, ISO 400, 300mm

33711179203_f65040ac1e_c.jpg

you can have response from me ;) only ever seen one in the distance as they migrate through so always delight in seeing them on here, great photo and done well to hold the whites by the look of the bright light, also love the look they are giving each other

Thanks for looking Bob. 63 views and just a single response :(

Stan

Thanks for looking Bob. 63 views and just a single response :(

Stan

Don't take it personally Stan, it seems that the bird forum has become a little "Facebook-y" of late.

It's a very attractive shot - crit-wise, there's a sharpening halo around the birds and branch. I'd probably clone out that slightly distracting branch next to the bird on the left?

Nice composition though (y)

Thanks guys

Wezza - no halo on my hard drive shots, sometimes happens from Flickr

Donatello - surely the whole point of posting images on forums is to get feedback, whether good or bad, otherwise you are just wasting your time

Stan

I've checked the thread a few times Stan and couldn't make my mind up on this one ... it's great to have not one but two Ospreys.
The detail is great, the composition is fine ... the one thing that 'concerns' me is the prevalence of blue on the birds and the branch, even allowing for a little blue from the sky it looks out of balance to me. :)

Don't take it personally Stan, it seems that the bird forum has become a little "Facebook-y" of late.

'Like' button is a killer ... and I'm probably as guilty as many others.

surely the whole point of posting images on forums is to get feedback, whether good or bad, otherwise you are just wasting your time
Errrm, yes constructive criticism errrrm. All I could have said is your "models" should have gone to the hairdresser before they posed for you. The branch should have been nicer, oak with just an oil finish would be ideal :eek:

On a serious note, I click "like" and say very little most of the time, I rarely feel the need to add words to express "like" again and as I am clueless about post processing little I can add in that direction. I appreciate the effort somebody goes to, to get the chance of a photo of a nice "model". If the bird should be looking in this or that direction, or its feathers should be combed :cool: is neither here nor there for me.

I had my rant...

'Like' button is a killer ... and I'm probably as guilty as many others.
Sometimes words are not necessary unless there is something constructive to be said. An anonymous "it is carp" button would be useful too.

the one thing that 'concerns' me is the prevalence of blue on the birds and the branch, even allowing for a little blue from the sky it looks out of balance to me. :)

I have done very little to change the wb from as it was shot and I think the colours are a true representation of what it was on the day and perhaps just the lunchtime Florida light

I quite agree Roger, I tend to click the "Like" button a bit too much recently

the like button is fine if used sparingly. Personally I really dont like it - OK a few people can "like" your shot but without comments all that happens is the thread just moves down the forum quickly and soon disappears off the page

Stan

I'd suggest posting images from your flikr account so we can check the high resolution versions.
I can see halos, and a bit of a blue tinge. I'd love to have been able to capture a pair of Ospreys though, so well done. :)

Stan,

I'll add my 2 pence for what its worth.

There are no points here, the first is the shot itself. There are some nice points and some weaknesses. I'll break down my thoughts into 2 areas - aesthetics and technicalities.

1. Aesthetics - The shooting angle is excellent, near eye level, effect which is not easy with these, even in the States, where they are fairly approachable. Both birds are giving us nice poses, and there is an interesting interaction. There are no distractions in the background so you have a nice clean shot.

2. Technicalities - I'd say the shot was taken in too harsh light to be ideal, losing detail in the whites, albeit this may be recoverable in the RAW. I had a recent Osprey session myself in Florida, and was amazed how quickly I lost the whites depending upon wing position - I found it really tricky and even in dawn light used the highlight recovery slider more than usual.

In post, I think you need to reduce the blues and cyans on the birds, and lower the highlights on the faces and on some of the bright parts of the wings. I also tried taming the highlights on the branches as well. For my RP below I also saturated the blue BG just a little more to try and add some extra 'pop'.

There is a sharpening halo evident here, but I agree, this is often introduced by flickr - its the sole reason I never link from flickr - it destroys the sharpening I think was right for my shot.

This is my RP, mainly subtle changes and not ideal from a small jpeg but here goes -

stanm-2-ospreysRP.jpg

Regarding comments, I really dislike the use of the 'like' button - if we must have something, I'd much prefer a 'thanks' for responding to comments. The 'like' really ha dumbed down the comments given and I think is lazy.

I deliberately broke down my critique here to prove a point - part 1 (the aesthetics) could be replicated by anybody here. There is nothing technical, so no 'I don't know enough' excuses are available, and I have learned a lot by commenting on other peoples pictures - it makes me think about my own shots, and how I can improve just as much as offering my opinions to the OP. I'm not always right, but critique is never a 'black or white' subject.

Part 2 - the technicalities - is more difficult for some people, but again, while people may not be able to express solutions, just thinking and commenting about the techs may assist everybody involved, the OP, other readers and the poster themselves. It's harder than part 1, but for from impossible.

It's a shame more people don't try and critique - if you like something just say what it is you like.

There is always the age old problem of certain posters not liking to hear anything negative about their shots, and I have my list of dummy spitters and no longer bother with them. Their ilk will always be around though and nothing to lose sleep over.

Rant over and when all is said and done - this is a 'nice shot' !

Mike

I'd suggest posting images from your flikr account so we can check the high resolution versions.

the shot is from flickr which was only 900 px on longest size - I never upload high res as only use it for forums

Good points Mike, will have another look as this is the sort of shot which I think will do well in competition

Stan

Great shot, and I agree with the comments about the slight colour cast and halos. The rework looks better to me on my calibrated monitor although there is a dark area on the left of the left bird that's been introduced :(
I think you'll find that most forums are very slow at the moment with loads of views and very few comments. I blame social media sites for the downturn in this type of forum.
They all have their little cliches as well but such is the nature of forums.

cheers Kevin, the light can be very difficult in Florida although I much prefer to shoot with it than the murky UK conditions

part 1 (the aesthetics) could be replicated by anybody here

not had a chance to rework the shot as yet but just noticed this part of Mikes feedback. I have to disagree - this is not a shot that could be replicated by anyone on the forum unless they had a lot of patience and luck. Luck firstly to find a male and female osprey on the same branch close together and then have the patience to wait until both were posing, ie looking towards the camera before taking the shot. To get this one took around half an hour

Stan

cheers Kevin, the light can be very difficult in Florida although I much prefer to shoot with it than the murky UK conditions

not had a chance to rework the shot as yet but just noticed this part of Mikes feedback. I have to disagree - this is not a shot that could be replicated by anyone on the forum unless they had a lot of patience and luck. Luck firstly to find a male and female osprey on the same branch close together and then have the patience to wait until both were posing, ie looking towards the camera before taking the shot. To get this one took around half an hour

Stan

I think you've misunderstood me Stan. I was talking about anybody could replicate the critique - not the shot.

Mike

Back