Osprey @ Shapwick Heath (Somerset)

xmh

Name
Jerry
Edit My Images
Yes
Having never seen an Osprey before, and hearing there was one present at Shapwick Heath decided to go and have a look (Thurs).

When we arrived the Osprey was sat in a dead tree a considerable distance away from from the hide, there was a storm approaching and I jokingly said "I expect it will go and fish in the rain" well shortly after it started to pour with rain and sure enough off it went looking for a meal, missed most of the action on that occasion due to the rain driven by the wind into the hide. Decided to wait it out and see if would fly again. After about 3 hours the rain started again and off it went, caught another fish and returned to the same distant post.

Shots #1 #2 taken on Thursday. It would have been nice if the weather, & light had been better, but great to see.
Shots #3 & #4 taken on Saturday. The Osprey sat on the dead tree after it's 1st flight and meal, for approximately 6 hours before flying again. Note to self take cushion next time.

I tried to get the bird entering the water on shot #4, but completely missed it, on the other hand I never realised they went in totally :).

Comments / suggestions welcomed.

#1 Nikon D810 : 600mm f4 : 1.4 x TCIII

Osprey : Pandion haliaetus
by Jerry Hawker, on Flickr

#2 Nikon D810 : 600mm f4 : 2 x TCIII

#3 Nikon D7200 : 600mm f4 : 1.4 x TCIII

#4 Nikon d7200 : 600mm f4 : 1.4 TCIII

Osprey fishing

Good set Jerry, love 2 and 3, that 600 + 1.4 is working very well for you and giving some very nice detail ... you need all the reach you can get in these situations :)

Very well done Jerry knowing how far the osprey was they really are good, I actually really like no 1 in the rain it adds something for me, the stances reminds me of some really impressive tattoos too

The third image is fantastic great wing shape and position in the frame..
Paul.

No 2 for me, love the punk like hair style! Fair play to you sitting it out in the rain, I would of gave in and gone home [emoji16]

Thank you for the comments. Hope it's going to be there tomorrow, might just have to go again, cushion purchased :D £4 from B&Q

Did you go back?
Was it still there?

Did you go back?
Was it still there?

I did & it was :)

It might have gone....................

I think so. :(

I arrived at just after 06:00 and the Osprey was on it's normal perch. It took off some time later and with sigh from a packed hide flew off to the South East and out of sight, with everyone thinking well that's that then, it reappeared made several unsuccessful hunts, which were great to see, but way across the other side of the lake and too distant for any pics. It came back to the perch and rested for awhile, flew off and caught a fish (bit closer) returned and devoured it. Then at about 09:15 it flew off to the South East and was not seen again. I was in the area until about 4pm and it had still not returned to the lake, so assumed to be continuing it's migration.

Osprey

Pic has what I assume is reflection/flare from water in/on the beak.

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry, glad your journey wasn't wasted ... helps me with a decision for tomorrow :)

Back