Otters in Shetland (pics added 22/02/2024)

157/
Otter v Orca...

EDIT/ This was a very lucky shot - I had a couple of clients with me, returning from an Otter photography day when we got word of Orcas nearby. We went down to the shore and sure enough, the Orcas were approaching! The Orca pod had passed by when I spotted the Otter fishing - so I took a few shots of the Otter, and at exactly the same time an Orca appeared in the viewfinder - I took 4 shots and the whole thing was over in less than 2 seconds. We think the Otter escaped as there was no splashing around or any sign of blood or a sheen on the water you'd usually get with a seal kill. Both clients were quite pleased!

This shot features in the 2023 British Wildlife Photography Awards book

Orca and Otter, Shetland by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Last edited:
157/
Otter v Orca...

EDIT/ This was a very lucky shot - I had a couple of clients with me, returning from an Otter photography day when we got word of Orcas nearby. We went down to the shore and sure enough, the Orcas were approaching! The Orca pod had passed by when I spotted the Otter fishing - so I took a few shots of the Otter, and at exactly the same time an Orca appeared in the viewfinder - I took 4 shots and the whole thing was over in less than 2 seconds. We think the Otter escaped as there was no splashing around or any sign of blood or a sheen on the water you'd usually get with a seal kill. Both clients were quite pleased!

This shot features in the 2023 British Wildlife Photography Awards book

Orca and Otter, Shetland by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

One word, wow.

I have just found this thread. What an amazing sequence of photos of one of my favourite animals. While I have seen a few otters, I have never got a good picture. My only visits to Shetland have been to the Sullom Voe terminal or when flying up to the Brent field. I will need to schedule a leisure trip. I live in Aberdeenshire, so it is isn’t a long journey.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how I also missed this.
That's a cracking natural set.

I have just found this thread. What an amazing sequence of photos of one of my favourite animals. While I have seen a few otters, I have never got a good picture. My only visits to Shetland have been to the Sullom Voe terminal or when flying up to the Brent field. I will need to schedule a leisure trip. I live in Aberdeenshire, so it is isn’t a long journey.
You may have seen me at Sumburgh in the past - used to handle the Brent flights there. I follow a few chaps on Instagram that photograph Otters near Aberdeen

You may have seen me at Sumburgh in the past - used to handle the Brent flights there. I follow a few chaps on Instagram that photograph Otters near Aberdeen
I have seen an Otter on the Don river in Aberdeen. We apparently have some on the Don further inland near to us, but I have yet to see them - although I have seen an Osprey hovering over the river. I have also seen otters on the west coast. I have never got a good picture, though.

Just fantastic, 162 is brilliant. Then again, they all are.

A wonderful (and a privilege) thread to follow. (y)

Back