Otters in Shetland (pics added 22/02/2024)

Another nice set of beautiful otter images :)

Would love to see them for myself one day??!!

Last edited:
Well my 200-500 has been away for over 6 weeks getting repaired, so after a bottle of red wine and a few whiskys... I bought a mint 200-400 VRII. This was my first time out with it - 60mph wind, heavy rain and huge waves made for a challenging day! Hopefully be out with it again soon...

63/
Otters, Shetland, Oct 2018 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

64/
Otters, Shetland, Oct 2018 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Fantastic images, i can only imagine what it must feel like to have an Otter under your shed, brilliant. Again beautiful images.
Thank you - it was good for a few days, but I feared the outcome if the Otter and the two dogs met up (feared more for the dogs, lol) He still makes occasional visits to poop at the bottom of the garden though.

Lovely work.
That's just passed my dinner break looking through those.
A great lunch !

Those are great. I would love to be in the position to go out the house and have Otters so close.

Those are great. I would love to be in the position to go out the house and have Otters so close.
Thank you - I sometimes have them very close to home - most of these though are at a better site for photography. It's quite rocky near me and it makes them very hard to follow.

Just realised I've not posted any Otter updates for ages! So here's a few (I'm doing lots of guiding this time of year, so not actually photographing too many myself)
Otters, Shetland, April 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Otter, Shetland, June 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Otter, Shetland, June 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Otters, Shetland, May 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Otters, Shetland, May 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yup a complete Joy this thread cheers on the updates john I doubt many here will ever tire of them. You are a lucky bugger though, first orca then otters. The best most of us can hope for in the local waterway is a shopping trolley !!

Sorry I jest but ya know:LOL:........................ keep #em coming please John!!

stu

Many thanks for the comments and likes everyone - I'm glad you enjoy these..
I've been flat out guiding people th elast two weeks and have had some pretty amazing experience. These two videos are iphone footage of Otters coming within around 2 to 3 metres of us. We agree beforehand that if an Otter does come too close then we cease fire with noisy DSLRs, but the mirrorless users can still get a few shots if the subject can actually fit in the frame..

View: https://www.facebook.com/JohnMoncrieffPhotography/videos/467737600688990/

View: https://www.facebook.com/JohnMoncrieffPhotography/videos/326085878335185/

83/
Otters, Shetland. June 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr
84/
85/

A few shots from a very successful day's guiding. I've had this chap out for the last 4 years - the last time we were out in May 2018 at the same location, we saw two Otters mating, and there is a very good chance that this is the mother with two cubs from the 'event' we witnessed.

86/
Otters, Shetland, July 2019 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

87/

88/

89/

@crieffy

John, your Otter photographs always 'please' and are a delight to see :) but #93 is simply sublime.

Thank you for sharing :)

cheers again for sharing john, they are a real joy to see. We watched both vids they seem really relaxed with you. Are they all like this in Orkney,is it you particularly they are used too or your having to use a lot of fieldcraft type stuff to get this close?

many many thanks for the whole thread

stu

Back