Otters in Shetland (pics added 22/02/2024)

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a grand few hours watching Otters last weekend - had some really close encounters. I've just come back from watching another couple just now but didn't manage to capture anything exciting - pesky rocks!!

1/ My favourite
Otter, Shetland, 2015 by Crieffy., on Flickr

2/ Drying off on seaweed

3/ Cropped shot of the same Otter above

4/ Scoffing a Bullhead/Scorpion Fish

Fingers crossed for more tomorrow...

Magic shots John absolutely gorgeous in fact some of best I have seen on here,totaly engaging shots well worth printing

Last edited:
Lovely set. Like #2 for the content look he/she is giving you.

Cracking as ever John.

Looks like you've got some light at long last too.

Magic shots John absolutely gorgeous in fact some of best I have seen on here,totaly engaging shots well worth printing

They're spectacular, I love the second one. Otters are just precious.

Shots of the year up to now John for me,,,

Fantastic John..

Lovely set. Like #2 for the content look he/she is giving you.

great shors

Fantastic shots, especially the first 3 - love the close up!

+ 1 on that one and the crop in #3

1st two for me, fabulous shots :)

Very kind of you all - many thanks everyone :) There's a few short video clips on my Facebook page (link in my sig line) The one in pic 2 did spend bit of time gazing at me - probably aware I was there but not too concerned that I was a threat.

Cracking as ever John.

Looks like you've got some light at long last too.

Aye, seems to have been a long time coming - now if only the temperature would rise a bit too!

Last edited:
I think you need to start offering tours ;)

I think you need to start offering tours ;)

I'm keep meaning to find a valid 'work' reason to go over

I missed a trick recently with the new water treatment works @ Foula ;)

Last edited:
Bummer! I've never been there - a bit remote - can see it on the horizon, and it makes for some nice sunset photos. I don't think they have Otters there though.

More lovely shots John

Bummer indeed.

I need to be more on the ball in terms of planning a trip.

Superb work mate.

Jammy bugger and yes, i`m envious.

More superb otter imagery, always great to see these wonderful animals:)

Stunning set, especially the ones with the fish trapped in its mouth.

I have a border terrier at home who bears a strong resemblance to otters, so I'm very partial.

The eye contact in the first three makes the photos even more special and the way its resting it's chin on the seaweed is particularly endearing. A pleasure and privilege to view these photos Thanks for sharing.

Some lovely shots, #2 for me. It's almost as if he/she is posing for you :)

Dave.
Cheers - this one was very relaxed - it spent a while just look towards me.

Superb work mate.

Jammy bugger and yes, i`m envious.
If you're ever up this way... :)

Excellent work
James

More superb otter imagery, always great to see these wonderful animals:)
Thank you :)

Stunning set, especially the ones with the fish trapped in its mouth.

I have a border terrier at home who bears a strong resemblance to otters, so I'm very partial.
Many thanks - our old Barney was half Border Terrier - they do have a similar head shape :)

The eye contact in the first three makes the photos even more special and the way its resting it's chin on the seaweed is particularly endearing. A pleasure and privilege to view these photos Thanks for sharing.

Superb images of a beautiful animal.

stunning shots well done.

Many thanks guys :)

Gorgeous shots - they're so cute! and some snazzy looking fish they've caught too!

I've become a little obsessed with puffins - the colours and marking on their face are so amazing!

Funnily enough, my TiVo recorded a Nigel Marven programme where he went on a cruise and went wildlife watching in each place, as I have a Iceland wish list set up & looking for otters in Shetland was on there - it was on Watch.

Just checked out some of your other albums - lovely orca photos - humpbacks are my ultimate must see!!

Funnily enough, my TiVo recorded a Nigel Marven programme where he went on a cruise and went wildlife watching in each place, as I have a Iceland wish list set up & looking for otters in Shetland was on there - it was on Watch.

Just checked out some of your other albums - lovely orca photos - humpbacks are my ultimate must see!!
I'll try and find that program :) The Humpback was an awesome sight - my pics don't do justice to the size and sense of occasion.

Astonishing otter images. How on earth were they shot?
Many thanks - lots of watching and waiting, then slipping and sliding over rocks to pick a spot where I hope an Otter will come ashore - sometimes they take pity on me and give me a good view before slipping away :)

Some video here > https://www.facebook.com/JohnMoncrieffPhotography/videos

Back