Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, this was an unmitigated disaster of a day. I arrived slightly late at 09:00 and parked in the season pass holders car park. It was a bit drizzly, but the forecast said drizzle at 09:00hrs but noting more after that. I then got caught in a torrential downpour between druids and hill top and despite running back to the car for my rain cover, managed (I presume) to get moisture in my 150-600 and 70D. As a result, the 70D went into some kind of crazy burst mode like the shutter was stuck and the lens refused to communicate with the camera. Both were turned off and have been in a box with silica gel overnight - though they seem to have dried out and are working again. I had to fall back on my old 400D and my Tamron 70-300 VC (which is in need of a service as it is focusing very soft).

These are some of what I managed to get before my kit went haywire and a few taken later on with the 400D

Leaving Fire in his Wake - Classic Team Merlyn - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

55 - Steve Bellerby TVR 3000M - 70s Road Sports - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

93 - George Douglas Ginetta G16 - Guard's Trophy - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

A Pair of Lotuses - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

104 - Michael Richings - Merlyn Mk4a - Guards Trophy - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

44 - Robert Pearson - Royale RP30 - Historic Formula Ford 2000 - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

107 - Vicky Brooks - TVR Griffith 200 - Guards Trophy - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

80 - Russell Martin - Chevron B6 - Guards Trophy - Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018 by G B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Some lovely shots there. I was thinking I'd got some decent images this time, but now I'm not so sure. I'll start a thread for them when I've seen what tomorrow brings.

I was also disappointed by the weather and didn't venture away from the car (I'm in the car club display area) until half-way through the 80s Endurance Car races. It had largely calmed down by then, at least.

Some lovely shots there. I was thinking I'd got some decent images this time, but now I'm not so sure. I'll start a thread for them when I've seen what tomorrow brings.

I was also disappointed by the weather and didn't venture away from the car (I'm in the car club display area) until half-way through the 80s Endurance Car races. It had largely calmed down by then, at least.

It's not the wettest day I have had at a racetrack - that day goes to the ELMS race in 2013:

A Very Wet ELMS Race - Silverstone ELMS 2013 by G B, on Flickr

I would have loved to have stayed longer had my camera problems not arisen. That said, it's a good excuse to go to the HSCC meeting at Silverstone in October!

Yes, I suspect the British GTs at Oulton earlier in the year was also wetter than yesterday - it certainly seemed that way, perhaps because my shoes were leaking back then. My biggest problem yesterday was the biting cold wind, and I'm not normally unduly affected by cold weather. But it's been much nicer today.

Last edited:
Nice and sharp as always. #1 is the pick for me, the spray gives a nice impression of speed.

Back