Oulton Park Gold Cup 2018

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's a few shots I took at the Gold Cup this year. As with all these events, I've ended up with a lot of very similar images and it's difficult to choose one from another, so the selection might be a bit random. Weather varied from nice and sunny to biting cold winds, and some rain.

proc_IMGP1136 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_IMGP1421. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_IMGP1389. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_IMGP1348. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_IMGP1291. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

proc_IMGP1213. by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

web_IMGP1157 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

web_IMGP1024 by Mike Edwards, on Flickr

As always, any comments are most welcome. Based on some comments earlier in the year I've sped up the shutter on my panning shots and it has helped with the sharpness of the cars, at the expense of the background not being quite so blurry. I still can't quite get my head around what exactly is different between these photos and the much clearer images on the other OPGC thread ( https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/oulton-park-gold-cup-2018.684091/ )- if anyone has ideas on that I'd be grateful. Could it just be down to me resizing these down to 1480 across? I guess I could test that by not resizing them.

Last edited:
I'm quite sad I missed the super tourers given the issues I had with cameras going insane. I think you have got some good angles here and of all of them, I would say 3 and 5s are the picks.

If I can give a bit of constructive feedback, I would suggest:

Upping the exposure a bit, and also increasing the whites and decreasing the blacks. I think they need a bit more contrast.
Personally, I wouldn't have post processed the first one as it isn't sharp enough - but that is probably just me being overly fastidious with the sharpness.
I would try using the crop tool to re orientate these slightly so the cars are more diagonal in the frame if that makes sense - it gives more of a sense of movement.

Thanks for the feedback - it was a bit overcast on the day.

@PhotoBoris, thanks for the detailed suggestions, I'll have a play with some more. I quite liked the first one as the others I took on that corner didn't have quite so much spray as the track was drying out, but I see what you mean about it being a bit soft. I was doing some where I took the photo at a bit of an angle to make it a bit more interesting - in fact, image 6 was like that and I went to the trouble of straightening the track. I'll see what looks better, while trying not to then adopt it on everything. Sharpness was one of the key things that I thought was much better on your images than on mine - the yellow TVR being one of the key images that was very sharp.

Thanks for the feedback - it was a bit overcast on the day.

@PhotoBoris, thanks for the detailed suggestions, I'll have a play with some more. I quite liked the first one as the others I took on that corner didn't have quite so much spray as the track was drying out, but I see what you mean about it being a bit soft. I was doing some where I took the photo at a bit of an angle to make it a bit more interesting - in fact, image 6 was like that and I went to the trouble of straightening the track. I'll see what looks better, while trying not to then adopt it on everything. Sharpness was one of the key things that I thought was much better on your images than on mine - the yellow TVR being one of the key images that was very sharp.

Mine are only sharp due to luck. I throw hundreds of images away from every shoot and use burst shooting to get one or two sharp images!

So do I, though I didn't actually take many multiples this time. It's always good to hear others do the same thing.

I guess some of the issue with the stuff I took where that Alfa is, is that I'm shooting through the wire netting for some of it. Every now and then I get something like this when I get the focus point wrong:

Imgp1137.jpg

But when I move to the left a bit to avoid it, I get the ambulance in the background of everything.

So do I, though I didn't actually take many multiples this time. It's always good to hear others do the same thing.

I guess some of the issue with the stuff I took where that Alfa is, is that I'm shooting through the wire netting for some of it. Every now and then I get something like this when I get the focus point wrong:

View attachment 133511

But when I move to the left a bit to avoid it, I get the ambulance in the background of everything.

That is an annoyance. The only real way to get round that is to either buy a lens with a focus limiter (which I have now, and it is bloody useful). Or, pre focus manually before the car arrives. The other thing you can do to help on a sunny day is stick an ND filter on the end of the lens so you can shoot at a wider aperture.

Back