Non UK Oulu - Finland

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
Has anyone been to Oulu in Finland before, I would really like to know what it is like for opportunities for photography, obviously the Northern lights should be there for December if there is clear skies.
But what else is there, Any ideas please ?
PS, No car hire so just on the feet or public transport.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Has anyone been to Oulu in Finland before, I would really like to know what it is like for opportunities for photography, obviously the Northern lights should be there for December if there is clear skies.
But what else is there, Any ideas please ?
PS, No car hire so just on the feet or public transport.
Anyone?

I've only spent a night in Oulu before, but it didn't offer to much photographically from what I saw. A few architectural opportunities, and sure, the northern lights can be seen from there, but there was a lot of light pollution from Kemi and other spots on the Bay of Bothnia.
If you've been to Finland before, you'll be familiar with the architecture, there are usually some interesting orthodox churches, and some of the modern design is clean and interesting, but photographically, the area around Oulu doesn't offer tonnes. I'd be inclined to check the aurora forecasts beforehand, along with the weather, and consider a trip further north if you want more night shooting options, or perhaps the area around Oulujarvi. Sorry I cant be more help

I've only spent a night in Oulu before, but it didn't offer to much photographically from what I saw. A few architectural opportunities, and sure, the northern lights can be seen from there, but there was a lot of light pollution from Kemi and other spots on the Bay of Bothnia.
If you've been to Finland before, you'll be familiar with the architecture, there are usually some interesting orthodox churches, and some of the modern design is clean and interesting, but photographically, the area around Oulu doesn't offer tonnes. I'd be inclined to check the aurora forecasts beforehand, along with the weather, and consider a trip further north if you want more night shooting options, or perhaps the area around Oulujarvi. Sorry I cant be more help
Cheers Matty for your reply, the weather is always going to be hit and miss and as i'll be booking the holiday within the next 2 weeks for a Dec 10th arrival it'll be a waste of time checking out the weather. We're going more for the northern lights than anything else but walks are also included in our itinerary. We've decided to stay in a holiday village just next to the beach, ive been told it'll be quite there but that suits us.

If you’ve got flexibility, I’d definitely recommend the area around Kuusamo and Levi. Lots of great trails for walking, sublime views and landscapes, decent facilities and more importantly, a much better weather system for clear skies, and darker skies for better aurora watching chances

Back