Our hedgehog family

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Despite being a Talk Photography member for many years, I've never even been in this bit of the forum as I'm definitely not a nature photographer! However, a hedgehog moved into our garden last year and a couple of months back we found her nest as she started to appear during daylight hours to collect leaves and grass to build it with. I don't have anything longer than a 70-200 to use and she's very shy, so I've had to get creative and use my Fuji with wifi to get some close up ones. My wife decided to buy a hedghog house which she's put over the nest and she puts out food for them. Her four babies aren't shy and seem unfazed by us, which makes them easier to photograph. Soon the babies will leave the nest, but I'm not sure about the mum so I've bought a trailcam to keep an eye on what's happening.

For those interested in such matters, close up photos are with a Fuji XT-2 and 16mm F2.8, others are with a Nikon D4 and 70-200 F4.
DSCF3995.jpg
Mummy hedgehog, first attempt using wifi to link the Fuji to an iPad

DSCF4260.jpg
Two of the four babies

DSCF4277.jpg
Mummy and one of the babies

_DSC9267.jpg
My daughter's favourite, she's named him Spike.

_DSC9270.jpg
Mummy hedghog - the closest I've managed to get to her, using the 70-200

_DSC9278.jpg
Spike, again. He's a hungry little chap and comes out regularly. He's unfazed by our presence and allowed my daughter to touch him the other day.

Fantastic, a lovely experience well documented. :)
We have one visiting occasionally but only ever see it on the trail camera at night.

Fantastic, a lovely experience well documented. :)
We have one visiting occasionally but only ever see it on the trail camera at night.

Thank you, watching on the trial camera has been interesting as we initially thought there were three babies, but there’s actually four - they only ever leave the nest as a family at night, but seem content to come and go as they please during the day.

Thank you, watching on the trial camera has been interesting as we initially thought there were three babies, but there’s actually four - they only ever leave the nest as a family at night, but seem content to come and go as they please during the day.
Really glad I got my trail camera, a lifeline for my wildlife enjoyment. :)

Back