Our Wee Dog

Name
Gary Laird
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been trying to get some good shots of our wee dog. She lost her good buddy of 12 years in the summer and we realised we did not have any really good shots of him......this has prompted me to try and get more serious in taking doggy pictures. All feedback gratefully received...

20170914-P1150243.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20170917-20170917-P1150292 - Version 2-2.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171206-P1190142.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171206-P1190155.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Last edited:
This is an excellent set- finely conceived images and a winsome subject.

Very cute subject and pictures… :)
if it was not for the edgy highlights control! :confused:

Very cute subject and pictures… :)
if it was not for the edgy highlights control! :confused:

They all appear to be composites Daniel.

There is a trick to sorting out the backlit and colour cast selections around the hair but it's not easy.

Lovely looking dog Gary, animals don't understand when one companion leaves them I don't think, nor do we I suppose.

I'd like to see some natural shots of the dog but I guess trying to get her to sit still in the right place at the right time is not easy!

Last edited:
I don't think so... If they are Gary spent a lot of time doing them and he's better at it than I am.

The first is probably my favorite, but has the flash a bit strong for the environment, IMO. The second has a mixed WB issue that makes it feel off and the flash is also a bit strong. The third feels a bit tight to me, and the fourth is a bit under (especially the eyes). But these are all rather minor points, I think it's a very nice set.

I don't think so... If they are Gary spent a lot of time doing them and he's better at it than I am.

The first is probably my favorite, but has the flash a bit strong for the environment, IMO. The second has a mixed WB issue that makes it feel off and the flash is also a bit strong. The third feels a bit tight to me, and the fourth is a bit under (especially the eyes). But these are all rather minor points, I think it's a very nice set.

I'm only looking on my phone, and wasn't sure.

I don't really use flash so don't have much experience of how that can affect an image. It must be down to that giving the mixed lighting. I'm assuming flash, with or without certain filters for want of a better word can have its own colour temperature that could differ from the ambient scene?

I'm assuming flash, with or without certain filters for want of a better word can have its own colour temperature that could differ from the ambient scene?
Absolutely... that's often what causes an image to "feel like" flash was used. The temp of flash is generally about the same as bright blue sky mid-day sun (somewhere around 6000k).

Great images of your little friend. My girlfriend would like one just like her, lol.
Cheers
Tony

With above these are great images well done.
Like it as been said above to make them "Wow" you just needed to get the ambient mix closer. Obviously this is coming from an hobbiest.

Gaz

Hi guys....many thanks for all the comments and taking the time to look at these.
The first two images were shot with a single speedlight in a handheld soft box. I was attracted by other doggy images that I have seen, taken outdoors with flash that really cause the subject to pop. I guess meaning slightly unnatural.
On 3 & 4 I used two speedlights in sofboxes one slightly right of camera the other a 90deg on the left. Also a rear 'hair light' see further details in my reply to Craig below.

There is a trick to sorting out the backlit and colour cast selections around the hair but it's not easy.

Hi Craig, no they are not composites although I can understand why you may think so.....at least on #3 & #4. Actually this was my clumsy attempt to rear light the subject. I think called a hair light by portrait photographers. I'd seen a setup by a pro photographer using camera facing lights behind 'hairy' dogs to create some highlights/interest. In this case I just used a bare speedlight in slave mode behind the dog. Maybe result was a bit harsh?

I'd like to see some natural shots of the dog but I guess trying to get her to sit still in the right place at the right time is not easy!

Indeed always a challenge!! I will try to take a few more today including ambient light shots and post the results :)

Hi Steven, in the first shot the light from the right was the sun (early evening...taken this summer). I used a speedlight in a softbox off to the left to fill in the shadows...but yes the ligting does look a bit strong.
I am very interested in your comments regarding WB on shot 2. I have seen or had problems with white balance when shooting in forests and mostly green environments where the camera in auto WB mode caused a rather obvious green cast overall. To the extent that I have started carrying a grey card with me to allow accurate WB adjustment during processing. In the case of shot 2 I did not do this.....I guess assuming the flash would removed this effect....at least on the main subject. Actually I don't see a WB issue on shot 2 but am using an uncalibrated laptop screen so that means nothing. Do you suggest to use colour filters on the flash to more balance the colour temperature.....would be happy if you could give more explanation as to what you mean?

Great images of your little friend. My girlfriend would like one just like her, lol

Hi Tony......lest do a deal.......but then wife would never forgive me :(

Thanks to all !!!

Last edited:
Last edited:
and here's one with just ambient lighting.
Yuck. ;)

The "color cast" you get is due to mixed lighting temps (flash/ambient, ambient/reflected, etc) and the fact that the dog's fur is pale/light enough to really show it well (in this image it's allowing it to show through, in #2 it's reflecting it)
The other issue is that your dog's fur is very reflective. This means that if the light is close enough to be "soft" you get a large difference between highlights/shadows due to falloff. The only option is to use harder lighting w/ less falloff (not great) or multiple lights/reflectors. Or you can expose for highlights and recover in post... whatever you did for #3 has worked very well IMO.

Want some great inspiration that I think will be right up your street? Check out Dog Breath Photography http://dogbreathphoto.com/

She's awesome!

Closest that I ever got to her style was this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bbpicturemaker/29263209761/in/album-72157650691718385/
That was backlit, and a big umbrella in front overhead. Although I should have bumped the flash power up a bit more.

(didn't post the pic in your thread as didn't want to hijack it, take a look if you want).

Hi Bethy, yep you have a similar idea....some nice shots on your Flickr page :)

The dogbreath photo shots I've seen before and think are fantastic. Maybe not everybody's 'cup of tea' but I love them. The photographer must have the patience of a saint to be able to capture these fantastic expressive shots. I do notice they seem to do a lot with wide angle. So far I've always used a 'portrait lens' 85mm equivalent so went out to the beach today to see what I could do using 24mm and 15mm (fisheye) equivalent. Was just myself but you REALLY need an assistant! Trying to direct the dog....hold the lightbox and operate the camera was not clever! Anyway for a first 10miniute shoot was happy enough with the results so will revisit with assistant in tow :). For these shots I had camera in manual but speedlight in TTL with the idea that the balance between ambient and flash would be better as discussed above:

20171210-P1190311.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171210-P1190299.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

20171210-P1190278.jpg by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Last edited:
are these composites? i don't have time to read through the thread

Hi, only no.7 which was shot in front of a green backdrop. The backdrop was horribly crumpled however so I cut it out in photoshop and filled in a new background. As there was already a green tinge around the dog from the green screen I used green as the background fill :facepalm:. I like the shot of the dog but the background and the green tinge around the edges is pants!

Back