Out of control bamboo

Edit My Images
No
We bought a house last year where the previous owners planted bamboo at the bottom end of the garden to act as a bit of privacy screen, which it has done really well. However it's a particularly invasive species and has roots going through the lawn and is sprouting new shoots all over the place.

Does anyone have any advice on how to control it? We want to maintain some of the privacy it offers but it's destroying the rest of our garden and a nightmare to manage.

Impenetrable vertical barrier (e..g tin sheet) in the soil at the limit of the growth you want to contain - needs to extend 4' below and 6" above the soil surface. And there's no guarantee that will work in the long term.

Harvest the shoots and sell them to local Chinese restaurants.

Pandas is a good idea too.

Pandas !

Thats the beggers !

2x Pandas off t'internet

As Alastair says, bamboo needs to be constrained. I only grow it in very large pots/tubs.

The only way will be to dig back towards the parent plants & place a solid barrier between. You could maybe then try putting some of that paint on/gel weed killer on the shoots that are spreading to keep the runners in check

It sounds like Pseudosasa Japonica.
It also sounds like the time to contain it has long passed.
A rhizome barrier around the mother plant won't work, and the rhizomes themselves can extend as far as 30 feet underground before breaking the surface.
Unless you're prepared to dig up the garden to get rid, you could be stuck keeping it cut to ground level (after all it's just giant grass), or using chemicals to kill the main plant which will then feed through to the offshoots (and, of course, risks other surrounding flora.

I've got several species of bamboo, but got rid of my Pseudosasa Japonica pretty damn fast.

It sounds like Pseudosasa Japonica.
It also sounds like the time to contain it has long passed.
A rhizome barrier around the mother plant won't work, and the rhizomes themselves can extend as far as 30 feet underground before breaking the surface.
Unless you're prepared to dig up the garden to get rid, you could be stuck keeping it cut to ground level (after all it's just giant grass), or using chemicals to kill the main plant which will then feed through to the offshoots (and, of course, risks other surrounding flora.

I've got several species of bamboo, but got rid of my Pseudosasa Japonica pretty damn fast.
Thank you, that was very helpful. I looked it up and that's exactly the blasted species that we have. I'm leaning towards getting rid of it entirely before we possible relay the lawn.

Thank you, that was very helpful. I looked it up and that's exactly the blasted species that we have. I'm leaning towards getting rid of it entirely before we possible relay the lawn.

Fwiw I decided getting rid of Mine was the only solution

A few years of relentless application of a strong weedkiller (pro grade RoundUp should do the trick. Eventually!)

Or move!

Back