Out of date Paper?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Following on from the out of date film thread, what is the situation with paper.

I am getting a load of darkroom equipment from a local school and there are boxes of ilford paper. I had a quick scan on the boxes but couldn't see any use or process before dates.

Can I use it safely, I think it has been lying there for about eight years.

Photographic paper never did carry an expiry date. As to this paper it depends on what type it is, and how it's been stored. 8 years is a long time, even for paper. Usually what happens is the speed and contrast start to deteriorate, and the fog level starts to rise.

Provided the fog level hasn't risen to high you can usually get round the speed and contrast problems with increased exposure and maybe using a harder grade. The only way to find out is to try some and see what happens. Opened boxes may exhibit fogging, depends on how they've been treated . You've nothing to lose with a quick test

If stored correctly photographic paper lasts a very long time with little degradation - RC is OK in this regard and fibre even better.

With multigrade paper you can compensate relatively easily for a degree of degradation simply by changing the filter in the enlarger. The simple answer is to suck it and see.

At the very least you have a stock on which to practice and get used to handling the stuff - you won't mind so much when you make the stupid mistakes we all do when we are learning such as emulsion to easel :bang:

I have some kodak and other manufactures, all sizes and 200 yard rolls of 4" wide papers that are over 20yrs old that I got from a shop that was closing so I bought all there stock of papers, and there still all in good condition, just down to storage, cool, and wrapped in light tight environment.

Back