B&W Out of the darkness!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Comes light! (Brxham Harbour)

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/zbSWq5']

I was eager to drop my daughter to school on Tuesday as I could see some rather dark storm clouds approaching from Torquay. As i drove down towards Brixham harbour I could see a rainbow over the town but by the time I parked up it was gone! I was lucky enough to catch the last of the clouds passing through, while the sun rise was hitting part of the town. The sun in all honesty was a tad strong at this time of the morning but it lit the town up rather nicely. I decided on the mono conversion as it made for a more dramatic image.

This was shot with a Laowa 15mm wide angle macro lens with a shift feature. This was shot at F11, the lens handles landscapes pretty well and is pin sharp in the centre, but it does get a little soft on the outside of a full frame camera.

[/url]

Last edited:
Great light Neil and great capture of a fleeting moment. It's a fine shot as displayed above, but clicking through to the bigger version on Flickr really does show up the subtleties that we can't see above. Good work.

Works well in B&W. I'm always surprised by how B&W can transform a picture that you wouldn't normally think of converting.

Great shot Neil, really like the dark sky with the light kinda spotlighting the buildings.(y)

I know it's part of the scene and has been well rendered but personally I do find the bright reflection in the lower middle of the shot (around the boats) a little distracting. Other than that very nice.

George.

Great light Neil and great capture of a fleeting moment. It's a fine shot as displayed above, but clicking through to the bigger version on Flickr really does show up the subtleties that we can't see above. Good work.
Thanks You Peter

Works well in B&W. I'm always surprised by how B&W can transform a picture that you wouldn't normally think of converting.
Cheers Phodru

What lovely contrast from the dark clouds to sunlight hitting the buildings.
Interesting lens, I could do with 15mm that can shift upwards. It would solve a few issues I sometimes face.
Thanks Steve, lens seems good so far!

Great shot Neil, really like the dark sky with the light kinda spotlighting the buildings.(y)
I know it's part of the scene and has been well rendered but personally I do find the bright reflection in the lower middle of the shot (around the boats) a little distracting. Other than that very nice.
George.
I know what you mean about reflection/highlight in the water George, it annoyed me a little and considering theres no highlights on the boats in that area I don't really understand why it's there!

Thanks for the comment.

Agreed, it does look great on Flickr!

Lovely light there, always like Brixham in the dark, so I guess I might be a bit biased ;)
As for the pools of light on the water, they are a bit strange? Have seen light reflected off the buildings before, but that doesnt appear to be the case here, so can only think there must have been some chinks in the cloud, allowing shafts of light through. Noticed there is a bit of a glint on the roof of the boat at the far side of the pool of light.

Last edited:
Agreed, it does look great on Flickr!
Thanks Andy

Lovely light there, always like Brixham in the dark, so I guess I might be a bit biased ;)
As for the pools of light on the water, they are a bit strange? Have seen light reflected off the buildings before, but that doesnt appear to be the case here, so can only think there must have been some chinks in the cloud, allowing shafts of light through. Noticed there is a bit of a glint on the roof of the boat at the far side of the pool of light.
Cheers Steve

Interesting picture - in the last eighteen months we have stayed in three of the buildings in that shot and could identify them all. Last one we left a week before that was taken!

Don't normally like B & W for landscape but this works, very dramatic.
Thanks Craig

I like it, the B&W works well with the lighting given it doesn't light the whole scene evenly.
Cheers Stu

Interesting picture - in the last eighteen months we have stayed in three of the buildings in that shot and could identify them all. Last one we left a week before that was taken!
Thanks Brian, it's an "interesting" place to live!

To convert to B&W was a master stroke. A super image.
Thanks John

Lovely light, comp & conversion. I am a big fan of B&W and this works well for me
Thanks Adrian

Very nicely done Neil I love it.
Cheers Alf

Fantastic image Neil, full of drama and atmosphere, the buildings are like an oasis in a sea of darkness. Love it.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, it's an "interesting" place to live!

LOL - one of the reasons we have been visiting so much is that we have been thinking of moving there in a couple of years!

Opportunity well spotted Neil!
It is a magnetically attractive image, keep looking into it, but then harbours I have always found interesting there is always something going on!
Love the way the light is falling like a natural spotlight. Great contrast, well shot(y)

Stunning Neil. Fantastic contrast and i love the cloud.
Thanks Tony, really appreciate the comment.

Really striking image Neil, definitely works for me
Simon
Thanks Simon

Opportunity well spotted Neil!
It is a magnetically attractive image, keep looking into it, but then harbours I have always found interesting there is always something going on!
Love the way the light is falling like a natural spotlight. Great contrast, well shot(y)
Cheers Steve

Super image with a monochrome conversion that really suits it. As someone mentioned above it may be worth toning down the central reflection. Nice one
Thanks Peter, central reflection sorted ;)

Back