Out The Back Garden

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
From my back garden. Apart from the what I would call a blue bottle I don't know what the others are.
Still in awe at all the amazing images in this section.

Feedback/crit/ help to improve are all welcomed with open arms.

Gaz

bug+3 web.jpg

bug+2 web.jpg

bug+1 web.jpg

Two has cool tonal density and I don't see how to improve on it
as three has an interesting PoV though the key is a tad high. (y)

Two has cool tonal density and I don't see how to improve on it
as three has an interesting PoV though the key is a tad high. (y)

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for the feedback.I think it's a step in the right direction ! (better than my last efforts)

Gaz

You've taken a Hoverfly, Greenbottle and a type of Ichneumon wasp.

The first looks a bit noisy - think the ISO 2000 is pushing it. The last is better at ISO 200. Think you may be able to go somewhere in between ISO wise. Last is nicely done in natural light.

You should be able to get closer with that 100mm lens. Also to aid sharpness with moving insects - especially as you get closer, I'd recommend using a flash. And diffuse it - check the macro rig thread for ideas on lighting. Even if you have no speedlight u can always "pringle tube" the pop up flash on camera as a starting point.

You've taken a Hoverfly, Greenbottle and a type of Ichneumon wasp.

The first looks a bit noisy - think the ISO 2000 is pushing it. The last is better at ISO 200. Think you may be able to go somewhere in between ISO wise. Last is nicely done in natural light.

You should be able to get closer with that 100mm lens. Also to aid sharpness with moving insects - especially as you get closer, I'd recommend using a flash. And diffuse it - check the macro rig thread for ideas on lighting. Even if you have no speedlight u can always "pringle tube" the pop up flash on camera as a starting point.
Cheers Chris. Thanks for the id.
Great tips on getting better results. Yes I do have speedlights and have collected a few pringles cans but have not ventured into constructing anything so far.

Gaz

Last edited:
Back