Over processed?

Name
Rod
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone have I over processed this photo, it just doesn't look right to me, shot with canon 6d and 24-105, processed in lightroom, if I have can you tell me where I'm going wrong please.
FB_IMG_1502225868850.jpg

In theory the 24-105 should give tack sharp images even wide open however this one looks slightly out of focus.
Its hard to tell if it is due to eror in shooting or in post processing.
There's a heck of a lot of noise there too which is either due to high iso shooting or artificially added during post processing.

Did you use any filter presets at all?

Do you have the exif data available so that we can see what the base shoot settings were?

Hi Rod,

I would like to see the RAW file to
evaluate the data you started with.

This looks like a heavily cropped or very high ISO image, probably from a .jpg original, that has had slightly excessive adjustments made, causing local colour distortions and a problem with noise.

Hi everyone thanks for your responses, I will answer your questions and upload the original file tonight

Ok everyone here is the original raw file exif data :- iso 800, f/4.0, 105mm, 1/60sec

and here's a jpeg of the original

_MG_5631.jpg

I think that has answered all of the questions (and probably answered my original question!!!).

Photography lives and dies by the quality of the light.
This picture had little hope of survival.
What ever you do, PP wise, it will always be poorly lit.

As suspected by many, underexposed and overcropped, you're fighting a losing battle.

Yeah i can understand what your'e all saying, thank you, i don't usually photograph people, i normally do landscapes but would like to do more people, mainly family portraits but i really struggle to get photos of people that "pop". Thanks for all your comments.

Yeah i can understand what your'e all saying, thank you, i don't usually photograph people, i normally do landscapes but would like to do more people, mainly family portraits but i really struggle to get photos of people that "pop". Thanks for all your comments.

I'll see if I can help.

There's a couple of things particular to portraits that are different from landscapes, and some similarities.

The differences:
1. Subject engagement, that's the furthest from a landscape skill, you need more than composition skills to capture a story in a portrait, you need people skills.
2. An easy technical trick for subject isolation is a long fast lens creating nice shallow DoF to create 'pop' from the background

The similarities
1. Great light makes great images, and what you have on your side is that you don't have to get up in the middle of the night, people are relatively small and finding or creating enough great light is fairly easy - but it still needs doing
2. All the composition rules still apply
3. All the 'technical' rules still apply; oof, noisy, unsharp or badly exposed images of people are as inappropriate as they are of mountains

Thank you Phil, very useful advice, i need to work on my people skills, they are currently very low to non existent!! probably why I do landscapes, what long fast lens would you recommend ?

Crop in from the sides snd leave more of her body in it. The original you posted is cropped too tight, we need to see the body attached to the head, a bit of work with contrast and exposure is needed, that's all.

Thank you Phil, very useful advice, i need to work on my people skills, they are currently very low to non existent!! probably why I do landscapes, what long fast lens would you recommend ?
On the 6d, depends on budget.

Canon 85mm 1.8 or my favourite the 135 f2
Or the Sigma Art 85 1.4 or 135

Thanks Phil, I'm surprised by those two, I was thinking longer than those!
Nah
The 135 is my fave on FF, and even the 2.8 gives a shallow DoF, teh 100f2 isn't bad for budget, but once you're beyond 200mm you'll struggle to be close enough to communicate. Although for candids the 70-200 works brilliantly.

Back