weekly -Oy-'s weekly 52 theme thingie for 2021: Week 52 : Showcase and dunnit!

Week 5 : Snapper's Choice

37884 Cepheus crossing the canal just south of Lancaster heading to Kilmarnock this afternoon. Real workhorses these things. Still going strong after all these years. They were built between 1960 and 65 - when steam trains were still commonplace.

37884%20Lancaster%20Canal%20070221-1400.jpg

Great timing! It's good to hear these trains are still going.

There's lots to like here... the leading lines, all nicely squared up and the people as a two and a one, all adds up for a lovely composition.

Great timing! It's good to hear these trains are still going.

There's lots to like here... the leading lines, all nicely squared up and the people as a two and a one, all adds up for a lovely composition.

Thanks :) I wonder how many of today's modern locos will still be slogging away in 60 years time?

Last edited:
Is it leaning over to the left slightly?

My eyes were drawn to the people, and the train initially spoiled it. However reading your text, I realised the train is more the subject of the image, and that changed the way I looked at it. Now it's about the train and the people are an added bonus. Works really well.

Lots happening there Dave, nice timing

Is it leaning over to the left slightly?

My eyes were drawn to the people, and the train initially spoiled it. However reading your text, I realised the train is more the subject of the image, and that changed the way I looked at it. Now it's about the train and the people are an added bonus. Works really well.

Thanks. Yes - I think the track is on a slight decline there down into Lancaster Station.

Lots happening there Dave, nice timing

Cheers :)

I remember trains like these going past my house (We used to have the main Portsmouth to Waterloo line run past the back of our house in Surbiton), thundering machines, The image is very interesting with plenty going on, good timing and a nice capture.

Nice one... lots of interest.
I can't help coming back to the contrast between the filthy, sooty bridge over the road, and the clean bridge over the canal.... almost as if there's a message there.

I remember trains like these going past my house (We used to have the main Portsmouth to Waterloo line run past the back of our house in Surbiton), thundering machines, The image is very interesting with plenty going on, good timing and a nice capture.

Thanks. They do sound good. Us enthusiasts call them 'Tractors' :)

Nice one... lots of interest.
I can't help coming back to the contrast between the filthy, sooty bridge over the road, and the clean bridge over the canal.... almost as if there's a message there.

Cheers. Yes it is quite obvious isn't it?

Interesting yet ugly train over leisurely canal walk. ;)

Interesting yet ugly train over leisurely canal walk. ;)

Ta - Interesting yet ugly - I can live with that. And the train :)

That looks like a Deltic to me, not that I know much.

Nice leading lines down the path, wonder how close the 2 walkers pass that lady waiting with her dog.
Round our way it would be real close.

Pete

That looks like a Deltic to me, not that I know much.

Nice leading lines down the path, wonder how close the 2 walkers pass that lady waiting with her dog.
Round our way it would be real close.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I can see where you're coming from with Deltic - they both have noses :) Very different locos though.

Don't get me started on social distancing!

Lots of interest in this shot. Clear as a bell. Train logo star of the show for me.

A bit behind with comments I'm afraid!

Tall; Lovely pov for the trees. Works well in mono;
Snapper's: Yet another terrific train pic Dave. I like the context and that there's a lot going on.

A bit behind with comments I'm afraid!

Tall; Lovely pov for the trees. Works well in mono;
Snapper's: Yet another terrific train pic Dave. I like the context and that there's a lot going on.

Cheers Pete ;)

Definitely plenty going on - but all fitting the subject and keeping the interest.

You definitely got the timing perfect, did you manage it with the first shot? I've spent a lot of at Kilmarnock signal box recently, I might have seen it arriving without realising it. Although I'm not interested in trains I do try to capture images on my travels that others might find interesting, here's a couple from last week at Belmont and Greenhill junction
7180C4EA-C021-45FE-8327-E06C1C59450C.jpeg

You definitely got the timing perfect, did you manage it with the first shot? I've spent a lot of at Kilmarnock signal box recently, I might have seen it arriving without realising it. Although I'm not interested in trains I do try to capture images on my travels that others might find interesting, here's a couple from last week at Belmont and Greenhill junction
View attachment 308888

Ta :)

I just framed the shot and gunned the stutter in burst mode on the Fuji X100F as it hit the bridge. Then picked my fave :)

Week 6 : Pair (and tech)

Out shooting birds with the 500mm prime so I had to back off a way to fill the frame with the bench!

"Brew with a view"

Brew with a view by Dave Green, on Flickr

Nicely composed, I like that it tells a story.

Isn't sitting on a bench illegal these days :D
Great image for the theme and a good angle on the bench.

Isn't sitting on a bench illegal these days :D
Great image for the theme and a good angle on the bench.

They had a coffe too - that's a picnic!!! Clamp them in irons :D

Good detail. And the nothingness they are looking into.

Back