weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2018 - Week 52 : Showcase (Complete)

Great selfie, great facial expression and great composition! Nothing to criticise!

And great abstract photo of the Selfridge's building! I like it and it's right on theme!

Nicely abstract Dave. I like the way it curves out of the shot and the blue is really nicely captured.

Can you sort out your linking please.

What am I doing wrong?

Ok - rummaged in the how to and figured out how to link directly to the pic in the thread rather then the page.

I think :)

Dave

Interesting Image for Over, nice curves and restricted colours, very pleasing.

Pete

Loving your Thick shot :clap: Clean, sharp and great POV. I guess it was rotated.

Loving your Thick shot :clap: Clean, sharp and great POV. I guess it was rotated.

Ta :)

Yes - the cloud is the horizontal :)

Here's another for THICK.

A THICK head of steam!

8F No 48151 at Winwick just after Sunset this evening with a Scarborough to Shrewsbury "Spirit of The Lakes" special on its return leg. Looking a bit hot under there too!

8F 48151 Winwick by Dave Green, on Flickr

Love the first thick shot. It's bloody great. Nice one.

Less bothered by the steam train as i find the cables and the fence quite distracting.

Anyway, I'm off for another look at your "thick with circles" shot.

Love the first image for Thick Dave love the blue and silver. Birmingham isn't far form me I really must get up there with the camera

I do like the second image of the train but agree with Ross about the wires being distracting

@ross.anderson.58 @Downton Mini

Better?

i-dVbb3ks.jpg

Took about 15min lol :)

I really like the Selfriges shot think you have done a great abstracty shot, but I also like the steam train, what is that glow illuminating the boiler and track under the second main wheel? It looks great, is it the fire from whatever bit you put the coal in? (sorry for the lack of technical term):whistle:

How about a bit of blur on the wheels and piston rods ?

Pete

Maybe Casey Jones leaning out of the cab with his denim cap on too? And a cow catcher on th front!!!

Hi Dave

Over - Love the expression on the lads face and a great sharp shot which works well in B&W but I prefer the car with all the mud splatter, very well timed action shot
Age - Lovely portraits of your Dad. My pick would be the outside one, the bg detail makes it a more interesting shot to me
Sharp - Wow great timing and Love the wonky angle
Guard - Really like the composition and the processing, can't decide if the eyes are terrified or terrifying:)
Thick - Definitely a lot of circles, nice angle and colours. Is the building actually blue or is it a reflection from the sky?

:D

Just seen the engine shot, much better with out all the wires. Nifty bit of editing there :)

Last edited:
Hi Dave

Over - Love the expression on the lads face and a great sharp shot which works well in B&W but I prefer the car with all the mud splatter, very well timed action shot
Age - Lovely portraits of your Dad. My pick would be the outside one, the bg detail makes it a more interesting shot to me
Sharp - Wow great timing and Love the wonky angle
Guard - Really like the composition and the processing, can't decide if the eyes are terrified or terrifying:)
Thick - Definitely a lot of circles, nice angle and colours. Is the building actually blue or is it a reflection from the sky?

:D

Just seen the engine shot, much better with out all the wires. Nifty bit of editing there :)

The building is blue under the circles - but they can light it different colours at night!

Thick

I like the abstract look of this.
I don't live a million miles away from Birmingham, but I've never been there, one day maybe.

Week 9: Abundance

An abundance of train spotters :)

East Lancs Railway Spring Steam Gala at Rawtenstall this afternoon.

i-x4ZL4f5.jpg

Nice one! Loads to look at and well timed, love the busy guy heading towards you and the guy with the crutch getting off the train.

<edit> what is the collective noun for trainspotters? An anorak? </edit>

Last edited:
Nice one! Loads to look at and well timed, love the busy guy heading towards you and the guy with the crutch getting off the train.

<edit> what is the collective noun for trainspotters? An anorak? </edit>

Sounds about right :)

You've posted some good images since my last visit, Dave. I like both portraits of your Dad; they're both have direct contact through his eyes and he looks very relaxed and natural. Having seen the second image I think I prefer the environment being included in that one, although the first is still striking. Sharp is an original idea and you've done well to capture the clay thingy in the frame as well as a sharp image of the shooter and the raised gun barrel lined up.

Your gritty processing and close-up angle make Guard(ed) a compelling image, with your eyes especially drawing immediate attention, and I do really like your first Thick image. I've only been to Birmingham twice and both times I made sure we went to the Selfridges building to take some images of that exterior. You found a great angle and this is one of the best I've seen :clap:.

Finally, I like the diverse crowd of people you have captured in their environment for Abundance, and their varied expressions; an interesting scene with lots to look at.

As Chris says Dave a busy shot with lots of interest and good detail. Looks like a cold day out.

Thanks folks :)

@Manxmaid "Diverse" trainspotters. All male and within 20yrs old of each other haha! Although I did chat to a young lady trainspotter at one of the more remote photo spots.

Thanks folks :)

@Manxmaid "Diverse" trainspotters. All male and within 20yrs old of each other haha! Although I did chat to a young lady trainspotter at one of the more remote photo spots.

:D I suppose that's true, although I was meaning more in terms of their directions, expressions and the odd colourful jacket in the crowd. They seem to be mainly working alone and all in their own world :)

Ok here's the sort of shot I planned for "Abundance".

An abundance of steam. But settled on the train spotters shot above instead.

i-fmx2njj.jpg

Back