weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2018 - Week 52 : Showcase (Complete)

Thick - I really like the abstract image from selfridges, but your second image of the train with no cables coming across the train is outstanding.
Abundance - the people shot works but I feel the composition is to cluttered, I find my eye can't settle on anything as I look at the image. I find the shot of the train with that nice thick plume of steam works much better for me.

Thick - I really like the abstract image from selfridges, but your second image of the train with no cables coming across the train is outstanding.
Abundance - the people shot works but I feel the composition is to cluttered, I find my eye can't settle on anything as I look at the image. I find the shot of the train with that nice thick plume of steam works much better for me.

Thanks - that was the whole point of the image :)

Both your Abundance shots are good, lots of colour and on theme. I like the detail in the smoke/steam on the second of the 2.

Abundance - I think i prefer the steam shot. I find the Trainspotters a little busy, full of great detail but my eyes keep darting between parts of the picture and doesn't settle. Just my opinion. Where as the steam shot I'm drawn to the great plume from the engine.

I always like people pics but whilst this is sharp and colourful, it lacks candidity.

Abundance

Good capture of all the geeks, sorry train spotters :D.

The Spamcan for me (perhaps I'm getting withdrawal symptoms) although I think it could do with a bit of pp, to bring the whites up a bit maybe. That said, I know why you went with the enthusiast shot, it is probably slightly more on theme.

The Spamcan for me (perhaps I'm getting withdrawal symptoms) although I think it could do with a bit of pp, to bring the whites up a bit maybe. That said, I know why you went with the enthusiast shot, it is probably slightly more on theme.

You're right - Wells was a definite shoehorn whereas the platform shot was taken with the theme in mind :)

Wow thats a lot of train spotters :D good image with lots to look at but I have to go with the second picture. Got to love a steam engine in full smoke, looks especially nice in the snow (y)

But Dave, that's Freightliner Intermodal, not HeavyHaul :)
Critique would be whilst I know you can't avoid the OHL Pylons, would it have been possible to have positioned yourself so that the two 90s were between two pylons, rather than bisecting the second loco?

But Dave, that's Freightliner Intermodal, not HeavyHaul :)
Critique would be whilst I know you can't avoid the OHL Pylons, would it have been possible to have positioned yourself so that the two 90s were between two pylons, rather than bisecting the second loco?

Like this?

i-3GVQFFR.jpg

Last edited:
Apart from the pylon I'd go for the first, emphasises the heavy locos more for me.

Heavy

#2 for me, it shows a lot more of the train and freight containers, emphasising the heavy haulage.

Abundance - Love the trainspotter image nice fun image. Your second image is a cracker love the steam and the snow on the ground.

Heavy - Second image for me defiantly looks heavy to me

First one I think ... less clutter plus it's sharper where needed.

Tricky one to choose this time Dave. Overall I think I will go with the second image as the poles are not so dominant but as Tim says a letterbox crop would emphasize the train :)

Yeh Dave snow is quite wet, great shot of the racing

Like the second Heavy Picture to fit the theme.

Wet, more cold than wet, but snow is wet so on theme. Looks like you suffer for the cause being out in all weathers. The gray sky and snow distracts from the photo for me.

Pete

Nice contrast with the cars through the snow, feels like a bit of a shoe horn but a well shot photo.

Thick - great shot quite abstract it really really works
Abundance - I love the train shot with its abundance of steam but the trainspotters work well for the theme too
Heavy - ~2 for me too.
Wet - yes snow is very wet - two lovely old cars there

Yeh Dave snow is quite wet, great shot of the racing

Love it Dave

Ya muchly :)

Like the second Heavy Picture to fit the theme.

Wet, more cold than wet, but snow is wet so on theme. Looks like you suffer for the cause being out in all weathers. The gray sky and snow distracts from the photo for me.

Pete

That's Pete. I can;t see any sky lol. You may like this better but it hardly fits the theme. Taken 10min later!

i-bx7Z9fL.jpg

Nice contrast with the cars through the snow, feels like a bit of a shoe horn but a well shot photo.

Nooo - not a shoehorn at all. I took this specifically for the them as a drop of melted snow ran down my back lol.

Thick - great shot quite abstract it really really works
Abundance - I love the train shot with its abundance of steam but the trainspotters work well for the theme too
Heavy - ~2 for me too.
Wet - yes snow is very wet - two lovely old cars there

Thanks. Not sure how old these are. I suspect they're purpose built for this class of racing but I'm no expert.

Hey, it's wet and it fits - just slow/fast enough to show the snow

That's Pete. I can;t see any sky lol. You may like this better but it hardly fits the theme. Taken 10min later!

i-bx7Z9fL.jpg

I could not see any sky either, but the photo appeared dull - due to the gray sky and snow. Above is much brighter, with help from the Sun.

Pete

I like the inclusion of the BG people, they make the cars look tiny.

abundance - I go for the anorak of train spotters, lots to see in that photo. Although the steam photo is well composed too.
heavy - first one or second one in letter box crop, less busy...
wet - the first one is wetter, and there are people for scale to see how tiny the cars actually are

Thank all for the recent comments :)

Wet, like this, captures the atmosphere. Excuse my ignorance but what sort of racing is it?

Wet, like this, captures the atmosphere. Excuse my ignorance but what sort of racing is it?

MRF Legends Cars. From what I can find they're "5/8 scale replicas of 1930's Fords, Chevys and Dodges"

Last edited:
Back