weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2019 - Week 52 : Out-takes and Year 2 Complete

As colour popping goes it works rather well, I like the rather bored looking person in the BG

Hi Dave, I like drink, lovely colour coming through and I like the reflection you have there.
Dirty, Good use of colour pop technique here, the gritty look to the buffers adds to theme.

Thanks Michael. I like drink too - and the photo :LOL:

As colour popping goes it works rather well, I like the rather bored looking person in the BG

Cheers Allan. Lots of bored commuters about. The challenge was to get just the one :)

Jolly nice, contrasty image and a very effective use of the technique Dave!
And nicely fits the theme too.(y)

Ta muchly Gareth :)

Dave

Dirty, nice grundgy feel to this weeks theme and good B&W conversion which adds to the feel as does the colour of the buffers as well.

Pete

Hi Dave,
I really like your image for squashed. The different expressions on the passengers faces is great. If I were to say one thing it would be that there is slightly more door showing on the left hand side.
Time is a great image too. It looks like the prospective passengers are hoping they'll be given permission to board the train. Great shot.
Full is a good fun shot of what looks like a great night! A great candid capture.
Drink - Wow! Fantastic composition, lighting and reflection :clap:
I like the image for dirty but there's something about it the doesn't really work for me. I can't put my finger on it - sorry.

Dave

Dirty, nice grundgy feel to this weeks theme and good B&W conversion which adds to the feel as does the colour of the buffers as well.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Very nice shot for dirty, liking the pop of the buffer.

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,
I really like your image for squashed. The different expressions on the passengers faces is great. If I were to say one thing it would be that there is slightly more door showing on the left hand side.
Time is a great image too. It looks like the prospective passengers are hoping they'll be given permission to board the train. Great shot.
Full is a good fun shot of what looks like a great night! A great candid capture.
Drink - Wow! Fantastic composition, lighting and reflection :clap:
I like the image for dirty but there's something about it the doesn't really work for me. I can't put my finger on it - sorry.

Thanks for those :)

Week 28 : Wide (and tech)

Fake wide! Playing with the fake wide aperture setting on the iPhone X

i-GZkHmW9-X2.jpg

When I first saw the pic I was thinking that's a wide angle lens mount to your d850. For a phone shot it seems to have worked relatively well. Nice subtle but noticeable colour pop too.

Thanks Michael. The lens on the D850 is the Nikon 50mm F/1.4G AF-S :)

I like the colour pop on this, never thought I would say that, it’s very subtle as Micheal says above. Not sure what a fake wide shot is it seems very square to me almost 120 film if you know what I mean.

Interesting take on the theme Dave. I have no idea what fake wide would look like - I'm guessing it adds blur to the areas of the shot that are already out of focus? I agree with Allan. I'm not a fan of colour pop but you have pulled it off. You have done it rather well (y)

I like the colour pop on this, never thought I would say that, it’s very subtle as Micheal says above. Not sure what a fake wide shot is it seems very square to me almost 120 film if you know what I mean.

Interesting take on the theme Dave. I have no idea what fake wide would look like - I'm guessing it adds blur to the areas of the shot that are already out of focus? I agree with Allan. I'm not a fan of colour pop but you have pulled it off. You have done it rather well (y)

Thanks both. The clue is where I say "fake wide APERTURE" setting. It simulates a wider aperture and thus less depth of field than the tiny iPhone camera sensor can otherwise produce.

Very nice image indeed Dave.(y)
This type of computational photography has come a long way in such a short time!
Only diligent pixel-peeping would be able to spot it was a 'fake'!
Very nicely done....though, should we all be worried?!;)

Cheers Gareth :)

My first impression was it doesn't look like a wide-angle lens but nevertheless, it's a good shot and an excellent technique effect.

It isn’t meant to look like a wide angle lens. It’s meant to look like a wide aperture I.e. shallow depth of field :)

Wide: well it certainly works and the use of colour pop on that tiny red part is great. Good job.

Week 29 : Closed

"Tight-lipped and red-eyed. It was one helluva party :D "

i-vRXWnRj.jpg

Heya Dave,

Closed - haha, love it. You could be Chahut out of Homestuck (except you're missing the horns).
Wide - I don't know what fake wide is on an iPhone either. Surely if you want wide on a phone you turn it through 90'
Anyway. The colour pop works well. I actually like how that has turned out.
Dirty - Lovely. Another colour pop that actually works well. The reds are subtle enough not to overpower the scene.
Drink - Nice colour matching going on there, and great bit of reflection.
Full - Loving the expressions caught on their faces. Great shot.

Heya Dave,

Closed - haha, love it. You could be Chahut out of Homestuck (except you're missing the horns).
Wide - I don't know what fake wide is on an iPhone either. Surely if you want wide on a phone you turn it through 90'
Anyway. The colour pop works well. I actually like how that has turned out.
Dirty - Lovely. Another colour pop that actually works well. The reds are subtle enough not to overpower the scene.
Drink - Nice colour matching going on there, and great bit of reflection.
Full - Loving the expressions caught on their faces. Great shot.

Thanks Tim :)

I'm not explaining the iPhone thing again lol.

Well - oh go on then...

Fake wide! Playing with the fake wide aperture setting on the iPhone X

Thanks both. The clue is where I say "fake wide APERTURE" setting. It simulates a wider aperture and thus less depth of field than the tiny iPhone camera sensor can otherwise produce.

It isn’t meant to look like a wide angle lens. It’s meant to look like a wide aperture I.e. shallow depth of field

Hehehe :D

Last edited:
:LOL: :eek:

I'm a bit confused here with the themes. Is this a Wide eye :oops: :$ or mouth Closed :muted: :muted: shot?

Hope I'm don't have a nightmare tonight. :sleep:

"Tight-lipped and red-eyed. It was one helluva party" - gob closed

Brilliant shot for closed Dave. Love it!! Give me a shout next time you get invited to one of those parties :D

Thanks Lee - you're on the list :D

Week 30 : Snapper's Choice : The Langdale Pikes

A wet dark dreary day up in The Lakes today. Still - I quite like this one :)

Langdale Pikes by Dave Green, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks both. Not a bad result for a dull wet day :)

Back