weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2019 - Week 52 : Out-takes and Year 2 Complete

Week 41 : Near (and tech)

My Dad died on Wednesday so limited photo ops this week. I did manage to get an hour at Preston yesterday.

"She's getting near!" - Princess Elizabeth nearing Preston yesterday evening.

i-sg62PVh.jpg

Last edited:
Condolences on your loss, I had the same 3 months ago. :( Nice shot, there's a lot to look at there :)

Condolences to you and your family, we also lost my father in law a few months ago. Nice image, plenty of interest and no shortage of leading lines.

I really like this - not sure why as trains are not my thing - and it is so busy. But I think that is part of the charm - so much to see and all very sharp and crisp.

Sorry to hear your sad news.
Nice image, I like a nice steam train shot.

Hi Dave

Dull, spot on the theme, nice and even across the Image, nice cloud details in the 2nd Image.

Snappers Choice, Excellent Image, just enough smoothness in the water and good streaks in the cloud. Nice colours and lots of details. Good composition using line of thirds for the building and the stream leading into it.

Near, another excellent Image, all lined up nicely.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Pete

Really like week 40. Just the right amount of 'stoppage' in the water and nice warm colours on the heath. Very very nice.

Condolences on your loss, I had the same 3 months ago. :( Nice shot, there's a lot to look at there :)
Condolences to you and your family, we also lost my father in law a few months ago. Nice image, plenty of interest and no shortage of leading lines.
I really like this - not sure why as trains are not my thing - and it is so busy. But I think that is part of the charm - so much to see and all very sharp and crisp.
Sorry to hear your sad news.
Nice image, I like a nice steam train shot.
Hi Dave

Dull, spot on the theme, nice and even across the Image, nice cloud details in the 2nd Image.

Snappers Choice, Excellent Image, just enough smoothness in the water and good streaks in the cloud. Nice colours and lots of details. Good composition using line of thirds for the building and the stream leading into it.

Near, another excellent Image, all lined up nicely.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Pete
Sorry to hear about your Father Dave.

Near is a very nice image, like that you got the whole scene in with the oncoming great train.
Really like week 40. Just the right amount of 'stoppage' in the water and nice warm colours on the heath. Very very nice.

Many thanks for the kind condolences and image comments folks. The funeral is tomorrow and we're going to Whitby next week so a return to some sort of normality.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Dad Dave. I lost my mum nearly 25 years ago. Dad's still going, but....

Short of someone posting a cosplay shot for Near (and no one has yet), this is obviously going to be my choice of the winner for the week.
Loving the use of the natural straight lines of the track to draw your eye to her. I'm guessing she's been shut off on approach to the station, but still sufficient exhaust to show she's moving :)

Sorry to hear about your Dad Dave. I lost my mum nearly 25 years ago. Dad's still going, but....

Short of someone posting a cosplay shot for Near (and no one has yet), this is obviously going to be my choice of the winner for the week.
Loving the use of the natural straight lines of the track to draw your eye to her. I'm guessing she's been shut off on approach to the station, but still sufficient exhaust to show she's moving :)

Thanks Tim - yes she was costing in. Here's a closer one...

i-MNS27QG.jpg

Great images for NEAR. I prefer the second shot. Very crisp!

Sorry to hear of your loss btw. My condolences.

Thanks Bob. As a photo I too prefer the 2nd - but the first for the theme :)

Sorry to hear the sad news. Good on you trying to keep up.

I like both shots and both are on theme. The first one for the unusual viewpoint with all the confusing and messy overhead power lines and gantry. The second for the tonal colour and sharpness.

Cheers Stan :)

First of all sorry sorry to hear your news Dave.

great shot of the rungs for “song” great texture and very foreboding

Excellent picture, the rust on the top step is fantastic, and as Dave says, pops off the background

Great shot. Not familiar with the song, but superb image.
First of all sorry sorry to hear your news Dave.

great shot of the rungs for “song” great texture and very foreboding
Great image that really pops with the rust, good song too.
Excellent picture, the rust on the top step is fantastic, and as Dave says, pops off the background

Thanks folks - Whitby is just the ticket for a chill-out week after recent events.

Thanks folks - Whitby is just the ticket for a chill-out week after recent events.
I love Whitby, I don't get there anywhere near as much as I used to, but still make it a couple of times a year.

My deepest condolences Dave.

Those are some amazing images indeed!
Near: Very strong composition in #1 and #2 is just perfect...what a beauty!
Song: Great textures and love the background blur. Excellent as always Dave!

many thanks Gareth :)

That is a brilliant shot Dave, so well executed (I hope not dangerously!). The colours are so complementary and the texture is just superb.

I couldn't work out what I was looking at at first, but once I checked out your comment I could see it immediately.
I think that's a great thing in a picture, the fact it makes you look/think about it.

About a thousand Scooby points taken away for referencing Linkin Park, but plus a million scooby points for making me think of
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPQv2bqUyE

I couldn't work out what I was looking at at first, but once I checked out your comment I could see it immediately.
I think that's a great thing in a picture, the fact it makes you look/think about it.

About a thousand Scooby points taken away for referencing Linkin Park, but plus a million scooby points for making me think of
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWPQv2bqUyE

Ta :)
It was a toss up between Linkin Park and Madness ( One step beyond)

Hi Dave

Fine shot of some rusty Steps, new song for me, but Linkin Park are not on my Ipod. Lots of nice detail and good contrast.

Pete

Week 43 : Borrowed

Mrs Oy doing some "Extreme Poetry Reading" at Grosmont on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

She borrowed the hat :)

It's a school thing :D

Extreme reading by Dave Green, on Flickr

Nice image, it's a shame the bloke on the right isn't looking at the camera as well. Your wife looks very happy indeed!

A nice happy image of your wife Dave with the borrowed hat, looks like she had a nice time.

Ta - she was very impressed that I got her up there :)

Nice image, it's a shame the bloke on the right isn't looking at the camera as well. Your wife looks very happy indeed!

Cheers - yes I agree.

That's a nice picture, especially with the steam creating the atmosphere, and a good idea for the theme.

Hi Dave,
You've posted some fab shots sine my last visit (which has been too long - apologies).
Empty - beautiful dappled light. Very nice.
Building - I like this. Nice old frontage with great signs. I love the Customers Wanted one :)
Soft - Nice portrait.
Old - Cracking shot. I love the reflection of the needle. Well seen.
Dull - Works on every level. Great play on words made me smile.
Free - Beautiful image Dave. Perfect exposure for me.
Near - Nicely framed. Thanks for posting the closer version too. So sorry to hear of your loss.
Near - Very good shot for the theme and great PoV.
Borrowed - Lovely portrait. The hat at a jaunty angle works well as does the steam.

Back