Non UK Pacific Coast Highway

Name
Frank is what most call me
Edit My Images
Yes
Off to San Francisco to take the PCH to LA in September. I have many of the main and more obvious stops lined up but looking for some hidden gems if anyone has done that trek. Even different shooting locations for the major attractions would be good.

Off to San Francisco to take the PCH to LA in September. I have many of the main and more obvious stops lined up but looking for some hidden gems if anyone has done that trek. Even different shooting locations for the major attractions would be good.
Point Reyes. The Cypress Tunnel.

Done this same trip all the way down to San Diego last October and I can recommend stopping off in Monterey and going out on a whale watching trip as this was a fantastic experience.

17 Mile Drive is also good as you can get right down to the water and witness the full power of the ocean crashing in on the rocks

San Simione - Elephant Seal View Point viewing area where you can get up close to the Seals although this does smell a bit!!!

Just to name a few, there are loads of place to pull in and take photos as well.

It is an amazing journey and something I would do again as the scenery is just breath taking in places.

We are hitting Monterey, also looking forward to a couple of days at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch en route.

Done this same trip all the way down to San Diego last October and I can recommend stopping off in Monterey and going out on a whale watching trip as this was a fantastic experience.

17 Mile Drive is also good as you can get right down to the water and witness the full power of the ocean crashing in on the rocks

San Simione - Elephant Seal View Point viewing area where you can get up close to the Seals although this does smell a bit!!!

Just to name a few, there are loads of place to pull in and take photos as well.

It is an amazing journey and something I would do again as the scenery is just breath taking in places.

It's been a bit of a while but I have had my time absolutely taken up by work, switched jobs to work in a hospital just before the start a pandemic lol.

It was everything you said it would jaw dropping, breath taking and then some. It had been a lean time for whales off Monterey when we went but we got to see Blues, Humpbacks, Orcas and a few pods of Dolphins and plenty of Seals.
One of the highlights for me was the sunset on Carmel Beach which really was one of a kind, so many people there but you could still hear a pin drop.

Stopped at San Simione and yes, quite smelly. Yosemite was quite spectacular, especially Glacier Point which literally does take your breath away, well it did mine any way.
Managed to see Dan Aykroyd in Lake Tahoe after surviving the wife screaming about the ribbon road and the fact that it had massive drops either side in some places.
It was such an experience that we are going back when we next can with San Diego on the list this time around. One of the most eerie feeling was cycling across The Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, stopping half way and staring out across the bay at Alcatraz.

Sounds like a great trip! I did similar in 2015, and loved it.

Sounds like a great trip! I did similar in 2015, and loved it.
It was awesome though LA was a little underwhelming though something you have to do on a trip like that. Full of wonderful places like Morro Bay and Solvang that don't always appear on the usual places to visit list.

I agree about 17 mile drive, been up and down the CHP several times.

It was awesome though LA was a little underwhelming though something you have to do on a trip like that. Full of wonderful places like Morro Bay and Solvang that don't always appear on the usual places to visit list.
We went to the Griffiths Observatory on the way in, then drove down Hollywood Boulevard and then left the car at our hotel in Santa Monica for the duration of our stay. I also defiantly preferred the smaller places. It was 6 years ago we were there - Facebook reminded me of a great breakfast we had in Santa Barbara.

We went to the Griffiths Observatory on the way in, then drove down Hollywood Boulevard and then left the car at our hotel in Santa Monica for the duration of our stay. I also defiantly preferred the smaller places. It was 6 years ago we were there - Facebook reminded me of a great breakfast we had in Santa Barbara.

Griffith Observatory was great, waiting for the sun to set over LA. We did have a 4/5 mile hike to the Hollywood sign, not by choice but we couldn't understand the Uber driver and vice versa so got dropped in the wrong place lol.
We stayed at The Garland Hotel in LA, we have made better choices and if doing it again would stay in Santa Monica and visit LA rather than the other way round.

Back