Padley Gorge on a rainy day

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Not the best weather for a walk in the Peak District today, but the rain means that Burbage Brook is in spate, which is pretty impressive to see. Not only was the brook roaring and cascading over the rocks, but there were a some impressive tributaries cascading down the side of the gorge too.

Here are three that I've had time to process.

Burbage Brook in Padley Gorge
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Burbage Brook in spate

Padley millstone

Really like the second. A question - did you use a polariser to suppress bright reflections from the rocks? I'd guess not looking at the 'horizontal' bits of water.

Thanks. No, no polariser used. I had one in my bag but I didn't use it because of the rain. I just kept the lens hood on to keep the water off the glass.

Nice pics. Looking a bit bare now :/

Thanks Joel. Yes, I unfortunately missed the best of the autumn colour. There are plenty of trees still holding out and giving splashes of yellow and orange though, and the oaks tend to hold on to loads of their dead leaves well into the winter too.

Very nice Nige.

Thanks Toni.

I like the Beech tree in the last one, is the mill stone a unfinished one cut there or somehow discarded (from above)?

3 lovely images, with the first being my fave, I really like the wider view. Nicely exposed and some lovely, remaining colour, the water is timed perfectly.

Thanks all. @4wd - I presume the millstone (although it's probably a grindstone that was intended for some local industry, possibly in nearby Sheffield) was left in situ for some reason. The area around the gritstone edges in the north-east Peak District is littered with them, and you can find them all over the place. There are some near Bolehills Quarry that are piled against each other as though having been made ready for collection.

Reactions: 4wd
Back