Paid-For Photography Hides?

Interesting article I know nothing of Tom. I have no probs what so ever with paid for hides. Each of us should be able to have our fun in which ever way we see fit without being judged as long as our beastie friends are catered for properly not harmed cared for.

I like Tom's words,he's told us he used paid hides,it doesn't seem like he's against them. he touches on pros being able to stay pro by diversification and part of that might be a paid hide,because I read the bottom had dropped out of the image market stock etc. I have never sold an image so know jackaabout that.

But if true then cool.............. I want profession photographers(they should be the best of us right?) to be able to make a crust so humbly maybe selfishly I can see their art and they can continue to make it.

Wildlife is a time thing,some of us have more money but hellish little time,if they can go and photograph some thing amazing and keep our art alive by proxy cool if they simply can because that's what they want to do cool i probably would if I had the dosh Man I'd love to photograph eagles up close and bears tigers pangolins and a bloody stoat if I had the dosh.

But I guess there is also the point that to attain that knowledge,WOW we are talking years surely to actually do this completely on one's own.

For me though toms words aren't about dishing paid hides, really he's trying to encourage us to "SEE" what is on our doorsteps. Folks I'm seriously blessed in that dept I know that I cherish it,but all of us can find local wildlife and really I think tom is championing

I'll add this i'm gigarious apparently I can have a crack for eons in the cold with a few togs not too many,but really I want to be in the middle of nowhere with an amazing animal trying to understand it. Me, a beastie and my darling lady, is paradise for me.. But finding and getting close(this is the bit that really shook me how close we have to be) enough to those one on ones with brit natives is really hard on one's own .

It takes time lots of time.....and an unfathomable amount of luck. You get lots of failure, day's when one simply never makes an image,it's no way to learn how a camera works.

But there is a flip to all this,if something is really hard to achieve,ya know ya bloody fight for it what ever it is,but you fight and fail alot . Say sod it and then go back, try again , when, ha ha when DOH sorry,......IF......... (it's wildlife) ..............IF you get a chance naturally the rewards are on a different level .

This isn't a money thing Tom speaks of,it's more about personal reward for me anyway if any one really grafts for something it means more to them than something come by more easily

I sort of wondered while reading writing this am I incredibly niave ,

oh I also see FC as knowledge knowledge that not only helps us get an image but also a tool.

A tool we use to know when it's best to go find something else ,

for me this wasn't just paid hides

belucky guys

stu

I would argue that by going to a paid for hide any wildlife encounters could inspire you to spend more time getting g your own shots

This for me as spmeone time poor who recently got interested in bird photography

Has anyone here used Pete Whieldon ?
http://www.petewhieldonphotography.co.uk/

Had a chat with him on the phone friday, want to shoot his Kingys and he offered tawny owls as an extra in the evening.
Quoted £200, which whilst no cheap, if I get the results such as on his website, then I would be happy enough...

Thoughts ?

Had a chat with him on the phone friday, want to shoot his Kingys and he offered tawny owls as an extra in the evening.
Quoted £200, which whilst no cheap, if I get the results such as on his website, then I would be happy enough...

Thoughts ?

There will be those who would say that they would never pay £200 and others who would say that they would rather find there own wildlife but each person knows his own desire and the value he gains from what is offered. I haven't been there but it looks a very creditable site and I have a feeling that some Countryfile Calendar images have originated from here. Better value than some offering 4/5 hours only IMO.

Thoughts ?
I have known Pete for a few years now as we are in the same camera club he is a very nice guy, I haven't used his place yet but I have seen lots of images from people who have with some stunning results.

Thoughts ?
I was there a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Let me know if you have specific questions

I was there a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. Let me know if you have specific questions

Hi John, just looking for opinions/reviews I guess, its only about £50 more than I would spend on a tog day, so cost isnt the real issue......

I enjoyed it - he has a rea;l passion for his birds. I did the kingfishers and ejoyed it - it is not happening all the time as if they had young. I had 6-7 visits plus other stuff. He was a nice guy and seemed happy to help others. My 2p.
Let me know if you have specific questions
Cheers
John

Also it depends on the level of "baiting". Many consider even feeders in your garden as baiting... But I know, with the relatively little time I have to go wildlife watching, and living in London (OK, I get to WWT Barnes regularly) that if I went in search of something in particular, and paid for the privileged, I'd be pretty upset if I didn't at least see my quarry, if not photograph it.

In wildlife terms, what's the difference between a "paid hide", and somebody who has a been observing an area for a while and understands where the wildlife is likely to be, unless they have been baited?

I know when we went to Mull, we had 3 days with 3 different guides who all showed us where we should be looking. We just revisited those spots on other days throughout the holiday and observed as much, if not more activity, but we had to pay the guides for their local knowledge in the first place...

One of the togs I know (and he's a very good one, wildlife expeditions etc.) has camo-hide, constructed pond, feeders, blue tarpaulin for background etc. in his back garden :D

Back