Paignton

The third has the nicer tonal range and
ain't the water a tad chilly in one?

Am I the only one who appreciates the deliberate placing (or is it?) of the palm tree to to say "hot"?.. the serendipitous placing of the white bird, and.. that very relationship between palm tree, blue sky and hot weather? It works for those reasons. Who cares about the tonal range.

First one is just a vernacular snapshot... means nothing to me, sorry. I have no personal context as to who it is or why... just a stranger looking extremely uncomfortable with some very poor lighting. It also says nothing about anything cultural, or significant in any other way.

Second one is a bit Parr-like, but it does capture British Seaside culture to some extent. Personally I'd have waited until the young couple had moved out of the way... but it's a minor point. You could argue it helps to show difference in generations... but it would be a weak argument... it's just a visual distraction - especially as most people in that shot are in no hurry to go anywhere :)

Last edited:
Went to Paignton last week and it is a great place to people watch. I would prefer to see these in colour and in #2, let the young couple walk close to the snoozing man.

Am I the only one who appreciates the deliberate placing (or is it?) of the palm tree to to say "hot"?.. the serendipitous placing of the white bird, and.. that very relationship between palm tree, blue sky and hot weather? It works for those reasons. Who cares about the tonal range.

:)

The hot was intentional honest! ;) The bird was pure luck.

just been there last sunday, and toquay
loved them both
your shots are a great reminder of that day
cheers
geof

Back