Painted lady

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Nice to have seen this in the garden a few times recently given it hasn't been a great butterfly summer. Typically it only gave me the one shot before the wings snapped shut and showed me how well its underside camouflage blends with my patio slabs.............. Wildlife, eh? Just can't get the models..................;)

Painted lady by Jannyfox, on Flickr

It was a compliment. :)

nail it in British
informal
to execute a task exceptionally well

Collins English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers

Yes I know that :) The task was certainly executed, it was just the 'exceptionally well' bit I wasn't so sure about. But then I am my own biggest critic, always have been and always will be. Glad you like it though. They are lovely butterflies.

Lovely shot Janny and one worth getting.
Me, I prefer these butterflies with the wings closed and a profile shot of them, beautiful colours.

Lovely shot Janny and one worth getting.
Me, I prefer these butterflies with the wings closed and a profile shot of them, beautiful colours.

Just for you Graham, though not quite a profile. Sometimes you have to see butterflies (and the same is true of course of birds) in a certain setting to get a full appreciation of why their markings and colours evolved the way they did,

Painted lady
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

Just for you Graham, though not quite a profile. Sometimes you have to see butterflies (and the same is true of course of birds) in a certain setting to get a full appreciation of why their markings and colours evolved the way they did,

Painted lady
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography
Thanks Janny, I`d guess this one (profile shot) is a older one as there is not too much colour in it from what I can see.

Thanks Janny, I`d guess this one (profile shot) is a older one as there is not too much colour in it from what I can see.

It's the same one Graham. Taken just a few seconds after the wings open shot. I'm not an expert on the underside of butterflies wings (I prefer them open) but it was fairly dull light as I remember, then of course it's on the dull slabs. That could make it look, well, dull.

Back