Pale eyes Lepus europeas sooc

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Something I've mentioned here a few times,iris colour. I see something very different to what seems accepted wisdom. The UK mammal society reckon hares eyes get lighter with age,and they probably do,but I have seen kids with very pale eyes the exact opposite in one population we make images of. So I don't really know what I'm showing you here is it a a really really old hare?? or a set of genes in a group that throw a sort of green into the usual chestnut brown of a hare's eye. I very much suspect these are genes at play,I don't see that many with this possible pale eye mutation but they are there and way more than one might first suspect. The image isn't processed ,becuase simply I want you to see that eye colour straight out of camera. POV is a bit high the joys of being in a buggy, I'll take all crit gladly as usual. But really I just wanted to share these eyes and say happy chrimbo to ya all(y)

Tis taken late march last year 1div 400doii and 1.4 extiii 1/1250 f7.1 iso 1600 i'll try and get a little fella up I called jade and if I come by them add to this I know I have different individuals to this fella.......................that said if anyone else can add images of hares with less than normal eye colour , bung 'em up please i'd love to see them. !! If it helps with colour shot in canons daylight setting and converted in canons dpp

Funny how the ears are set fella isn't best pleased I've pulled up alongside him, is tense,but not quite ready to do a runner.

MERRY CHRIMBO GUYS:D

white eyes sooc sm j by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

stu

This prompted me to look at a hare I got a couple of years ago (2016, seems like 5 minutes ago) and I see your point Stu. Ok, mine was in different light and maybe that's what it is but the eyes on my hare are a lot more yellow/brown.

I'm not sure if it's a direct comparison but I have 2 Weimaraners, their eyes were ocean blue for the first 6 months from birth, then changed to amber and now they are both in their teens, the amber has faded noticeably.

Hope you had a good Christmas. (y)

tp.jpg

Last edited:
This prompted me to look at a hare I got a couple of years ago (2016, seems like 5 minutes ago) and I see your point Stu. Ok, mine was in different light and maybe that's what it is but the eyes on my hare are a lot more yellow/brown.

I'm not sure if it's a direct comparison but I have 2 Weimaraners, their eyes were ocean blue for the first 6 months from birth, then changed to amber and now they are both in their teens, the amber has faded noticeably.

Hope you had a good Christmas. (y)

View attachment 141026

'ello mate,your hare is basically as it should be Dale !! That red/brown chestnut kinda colour. is exactly what I'd expect,it isn't the light Dale. sure the light does effect all this but that's not what's at play here. I have these individuals as well bro at my little spot with this (to me) normal eye colour.

Dale your Weimars.................many mammals have blue eyes when born and that changes,I know it happens in foxes,saw a tiny tiny cub once stunning with blue eyes !! . So I think that's at play with the dogs,I think it's something different with the hares,i'm as sure as I can be what i'm seeing is a genetic, recessive mutation.,well I can't really explain it any other way. It'll be fascinating to see if anyone else sees this in other hare populations,I suspect it's rare,but who knows???

yeah you too bro :D god it's nice to not be working all hours !!!!!!

Dale just to rule out sunlight two images again SOOC taken around 20mins apart from each other,so pretty much the same light but also sunlight,so adding a warmth to colour Obviously the landscape image is that normal eye colour in your fella above. Now is the second hare, the portrait shot,,abberent or is that what the hares eye's might fade to if it lives long enough?? IE fading with age. It also seems different from the first hare I posted given light differences??

_70F0572 smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

sm j by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

food for thought huh:)

Dale just to rule out sunlight two images again SOOC taken around 20mins apart from each other,so pretty much the same light but also sunlight,so adding a warmth to colour Obviously the landscape image is that normal eye colour in your fella above. Now is the second hare, the portrait shot,,abberent or is that what the hares eye's might fade to if it lives long enough?? IE fading with age. It also seems different from the first hare I posted given light differences??

_70F0572 smj by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

sm j by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

food for thought huh:)

A definate difference there. Could be genes, age or something else. I've scouted the interweb thingy but can't find anything definitve.

It's certainly worth further scouting and once this New Year malarky is done, I'll be doing more, I like these little challenges. (y)

Back