Panic buying !

Status
Not open for further replies.
aldi toilet roll 1.JPG

Thought I would pop into Aldi for a few items, as I could not get my normal shop the other day. Last of the few remaining toilet rolls. I only wanted a few items, it was absolutely ridiculous. A few started getting angry and tried venting their anger on fellow customers.

aldi customers.JPG

Still in Aldi, the lady in the centre of the photo had a trolley full of stuff, her bill came to £170. "disgracefully" "should not be allowed" and various other rude comments could be heard, from others waiting in the queue.

hb roll.JPG

Had a quick nose in Home and Bargain while I was passing, but I did not buy anything. They had kitchen roll for £1 a roll I think it was. Obviously as a substitute for toilet roll.

asda.JPG

asda kitchen roll.JPG

I went into Asda for various bits, but they had no milk. They had no toilet roll either, but they did have kitchen roll @ 3 rolls for £4.25 again possibly as a substitute for toilet roll.

I did want a thermometer, but the Chemist has had a run on them. She shrugged her shoulders and just said "sorry". She said it in a voice as though she had been asked for that item many times that day and possibly all week.

Last edited:
I always buy my kitchen roll at home bargains so i'm not sure on supermarket prices but that seems extremely expensive for kitchen roll!?

That is where I always buy mine from. It is normally £1.99 for a pack four, or something like that, but now it is £1 per roll. I am assuming they think the people who will be buying it at the moment, won't be wiping up spills with it, but possibly using it for more delicate matters. :eek:

But yes Asda are asking £4.25 for a pack of three kitchen tolls. :(

Last edited:
That is where I always buy mine from. It is normally £1.99 for a pack four, or something like that, but now it is £1 per roll. I am assuming they think the people who will be buying it at the moment, won't be wiping up spills with it, but possibly using it for more delicate matters. :eek:

But yes Asda are asking £4.25 for a pack of three kitchen tolls. :(

Cant wait to see those that do this having to fork out to have there waste pipes and sewers unblocked it’s a really bad idea to use kitchen roll for wiping your arse.

co op.JPG

Did you get any good photos?.....or milk? :)

I did get some milk, just having a lovely brew now. I did get one badly composed wonky photo. Seems nice and organised in the COOP, no fighting over poop paper, or anything. Only about four or five people shopping, and just browsing the goods nice and calmly. :)

Horizon's a bit squint....:LOL:

I tend to take the photos from chest height, so not to draw attention to myself. Some staff don't like you taking photos in the shop. I tend not to look down at the camera when taking photos, biggest give away always looking down. Yes this does result in wonky photos. ;)

With the current shortage of loo roll might be a good time to invest in the Sun newspaper shares.
Don’t worry apparently the daily mail has upped production in anticipation.

Reactions: nog
If you flush any of these alternatives you'll regret it.
Proper toilet paper rapidly disintegrates in the... flow... but normal paper will readily catch at joints and junctions in the pipes and sooner or later a blockage will ensue.
You could bin it instead somehow.

Proper toilet paper rapidly disintegrates in the... flow... but normal paper will readily catch at joints and junctions in the pipes and sooner or later a blockage will ensue.

I think some shops are hoping that customers will buy kitchen roll, as an alternative. I would not use it, anyway I have enough to last, hopefully. :confused:

We were both out separately on errands.....as a foraging 'exercise' we included visits to 3 different supermarkets.

All three:-
Paper products shelves empty
Almost, likewise for pasta, rice and biscuits....i.e. a scattering of items
As for soap....yes, some but still no handgel

All 3 stores had limit notices so why empty shelves..... One likely reason is ~ multiple visits by the same shoppers???

The retail supply chain spokespersons say at the supply end of the system there is not a problem.......if only shoppers would behave more normally, everyone would be able to shop as they have always done.

If the selfish behaviour continues I can perceive of a situation of controlled rationing (with dated vouchers) to stampdown on the selfishly generated "self fulfilling problem" :(

PS for the first time in a few years we are doing online supermarket 'shops' (NB these are not new accounts ~ just little used).

With one we have been able to get slots from end of next week onwards. The other one has not a single time slot over the next three weeks, advising "keep checking back".

Last edited:

and some poor sod will make a crust sorting it,way of the world bro Or potentially soon......... that guy wont come into the offenders house and folks learn ,it's all good.

The funny thing is how long have we as a species had bog roll???

livin the dream

stu

We were both out separately on errands.....as a foraging 'exercise' we included visits to 3 different supermarkets.

All three:-
Paper products shelves empty
Almost, likewise for pasta, rice and biscuits....i.e. a scattering of items
As for soap....yes, some but still no handgel

All 3 stores had limit notices so why empty shelves..... One likely reason is ~ multiple visits by the same shoppers???

The retail supply chain spokespersons say at the supply end of the system there is not a problem.......if only shoppers would behave more normally, everyone would be able to shop as they have always done.

If the selfish behaviour continues I can perceive of a situation of controlled rationing (with dated vouchers) to stampdown on the selfishly generated "self fulfilling problem" :(

PS for the first time in a few years we are doing online supermarket 'shops' (NB these are not new accounts ~ just little used).

With one we have been able to get slots from end of next week onwards. The other one has not a single time slot over the next three weeks, advising "keep checking back".

That is what the missus says may have to happen, bring ration books back. Would be a massive task though.

That is what the missus says may have to happen, bring ration books back. Would be a massive task though.
Psssst… wanna buy some fuel coupons? Bottle of whisky - £80 to you, it's normally £100. Gin? No problem, £90 for a bottle of Gordons and no questions asked. :sneaky: ;)

I had a friend and my brother say that the shelves in ASDA, different store's were starting to empty of most things, toilet roll included last week. ;)

My two local Tesco's, one large, one small were as normal, bar the toilet rolls. :rolleyes:

Went in the local smaller Tesco earlier, and shelves with canned beans and soups were quite empty, after being OK last week. :oops: :$

The toilet roll thing boggles. If this thing made you sh!t yourself to death I could understand. :thinking:

Psssst… wanna buy some fuel coupons? Bottle of whisky - £80 to you, it's normally £100. Gin? No problem, £90 for a bottle of Gordons and no questions asked. :sneaky: ;)

If it did come to that, there are plenty who would exploit that. Just hope it never does happen. :oops: :$

I had a friend and my brother say that the shelves in ASDA, different store's were starting to empty of most things, toilet roll included last week. ;)

My two local Tesco's, one large, one small were as normal, bar the toilet rolls. :rolleyes:

Went in the local smaller Tesco earlier, and shelves with canned beans and soups were quite empty, after being OK last week. :oops: :$

The toilet roll thing boggles. If this thing made you sh!t yourself to death I could understand. :thinking:

This event will probably go down in Wikipedia, as the great toilet paper phenomenon.

Just watching the news this morning, and manufacturers are saying the big superstores need to start paying their bills. The big superstores have always paid their bills after much chasing from the manufacturers. They say it is worse now, as manufacturers are producing at a greater volume, so they say they now need paying much quicker.

All sales need to be in classified forums:ty:

:)
I don't think you fully understand the concept of how black market trading works! Just straighten the mods out with some knicker elastic and a packet of Jaffa Cakes, and Bob's your uncle! :LOL:

Last edited:
IMG_0498.JPG

Taken from inside the car, while parked up. Sorry about the dribble, it was not visible from inside the car. Just another poop photo from me. :)

It was only twenty to nine, but car park was already getting full. People were coming out of the shop with bags of stuff. I thought I would try Aldi instead.

IMG_0500.JPG

I tried Aldi instead, it was only 8.55am but car park was getting full already. People were coming out with bags of stuff, and toilet rolls tucked under their arms. I decided to brave it and get a few bits. I only wanted some biscuits and crusty bread, and a jar of honey, for my porridge in the morning. I can't do without my morning bowl of porridge, sweetened with honey. :)

@jonbeeza i am ready to get annoyed when all the people who don't normally buy porridge have bought it all and the rest of us who it is a staple product for wont have any! I buy a particular bread in waitrose (tesco stopped doing it) and i bet those who swiped it will be eating it thinking "i don't really like this"

the kitchen roll in home bargains i buy (i had just bought some so ok for now) is 3 rolls for £2 so probably the same one - by Bufffalo but i don't think the £1 for one roll is a result of this, as i've bought one of those before when they didnt have the other.

View attachment 272109

I did get some milk, just having a lovely brew now. I did get one badly composed wonky photo. Seems nice and organised in the COOP, no fighting over poop paper, or anything. Only about four or five people shopping, and just browsing the goods nice and calmly. :)

Oh dear, it looks like the Asses milk has all gone............................Cleo will not be happy ;) Mind you, looking at the size of gap left they obviously never have much call for it :LOL:

I forgot to add that whilst walking through Liverpool city on Monday, where there are a few street stalls selling various things, I saw one packing up who had a sign saying 'Hand Sanitizer £4'. Not sure if that is reasonable or not, :thinking: but he seemed to have a lot left.

Unless he started with a whole lot more. ;)

I forgot to add that whilst walking through Liverpool city on Monday, where there are a few street stalls selling various things, I saw one packing up who had a sign saying 'Hand Sanitizer £4'. Not sure if that is reasonable or not, :thinking: but he seemed to have a lot left.

Unless he started with a whole lot more. ;)

There was an item on the local news a few days back about a small craft Gin Distillery selling alcohol based hand sanitiser......................and on the news this morning mention was made of HRMC hurrying through some rules to/about covering distillers who are already or wish to sell such products???

We have a nearby'ish such distillery.....................I wonder if they are going to offer this?

@jonbeeza i am ready to get annoyed when all the people who don't normally buy porridge have bought it all and the rest of us who it is a staple product for wont have any! I buy a particular bread in waitrose (tesco stopped doing it) and i bet those who swiped it will be eating it thinking "i don't really like this"

the kitchen roll in home bargains i buy (i had just bought some so ok for now) is 3 rolls for £2 so probably the same one - by Bufffalo but i don't think the £1 for one roll is a result of this, as i've bought one of those before when they didnt have the other.
Me and the missus have been on porridge for years, but I love mine with a little honey, can't see us going off it anytime soon. Why have they started hoarding porridge now? I always make sure I have enough in, as that is all we have for breakfast. Only time we don't, is when we have to be out in the morning quick, then it is Coffee and toast. :)

Oh dear, it looks like the Asses milk has all gone............................Cleo will not be happy ;) Mind you, looking at the size of gap left they obviously never have much call for it :LOL:

The COOP can normally run out of milk, as it is only a small shop. But seem to be replenishing pretty quick at the moment.

There was an item on the local news a few days back about a small craft Gin Distillery selling alcohol based hand sanitiser......................and on the news this morning mention was made of HRMC hurrying through some rules to/about covering distillers who are already or wish to sell such products???

We have a nearby'ish such distillery.....................I wonder if they are going to offer this?

Got an email from work this morning with a 20% offer for KEEPR'S Gin and it also said that they were making their own alcohol hand gels.

I've never liked "normal" (cows) milk and drink alternative in coffee and cereal, currently cashew milk is my favourite. Can't find any in stores at the moment, as everyone is panic buying it as it lasts as well as long life. Annoying that all the people who usually trash talk milk alternatives are now keeping me from getting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back