Panoramas/Collages/Stitches

karmagarda

Good between the sheets
Name
Conor
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm dedicating this thread to any stitches, collages, panoramas etc. There are differences between all, and there are even different types of each too.

Panoramas
Pretty much all of you will know already what this is. A panorama will generally look like a very wide angle photo, although I have seen variations to create 360 degree style photos. These can be created using 1 photo (most likely using a very wide angle lens), but a lot will in fact consist of multiple photos merged together.

I don't have any samples myself, but >here's a flickr group< with loads.

Collages
Most people should know what Collages are too. They are multiple random or planned photos used together to make another image or design. The underlying photos don't have to have any relation to the resulting image/design, but on the other hand they can. Sometimes it might not represent anything else, but will just be a really nice collection of images that work well together and maybe form a shape or random kind of design. Different types of collages are:

• Random photos together making a larger image
  • Parts of random images used to make another image
  • Multiple photos just mashed together as part of 1 collection

There may be more I'm missing, but that's the general jist. If you google it (http://alturl.com/vsvdk) you'll see many different types of collages.

Stitches
Not sure how many of you know what these are, but I reckon there's a good few that should. Stitches could be described as a mix of all of the above. Effectively you create 1 big picture by "stitching" together smaller parts of the picture. So you don't need a very wide lens you just use what ever you have and stitch the bits together. I've seen both neat and messy stitches so go crazy.

If anyone wants to join in please do. Otherwise I'll just try to keep it going myself! To kick it off I'll add a stitch myself so you see what these look like:

Trafalgar Stitch by karmagarda, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really like the idea of the Trafalgar Stitch,

I have only ever done the one Panorama best view as big as possible

pano_holmevally_aug2010 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Looking forward to everyone else's work

Here's one I've taken during one rather overcast July's day. It was taken from a hilltop between Folkestone and Canterbury.

July10Panorama-1.jpg

the gents toilet at the school i work at :)

Bathroom by stokes tog, on Flickr

And just down the corridor, with a vending machine in:

Vending Machine by stokes tog, on Flickr

Done for my porfolio, tried to find the worst shots i can, so that others i take look much much better :)

Last edited:
Karma, how do you achieve the stitches using individual photos so that the joints are not blended into a smooth panarama? Is there a dedicated software, do you position them yourself, etc?

I have only done panoramas, examples below, but I really like this more rough and ready stitching.

I took this one a while back of the Cardiff Skyline.

Full size is available here, but be warned it's a big one at 22,998 x 2012.
The amount of detail at full size is great.

Karma, how do you achieve the stitches using individual photos so that the joints are not blended into a smooth panarama? Is there a dedicated software, do you position them yourself, etc?

I have only done panoramas, examples below, but I really like this more rough and ready stitching.

It's a manual process, no software used! I usually reduce the initial image sizes a bit before doing it though because there can be a lot of images involved. I believe the Trafalgar square stitch was about 40 photographs in total.

Love the panos you linked by the way. Especially the first :)

This was from 2 images I took in November 2006. Only recently stitched them together.

This is about 3 or 4 images stitched together, I have it printed 5ft wide above my bed.

TFL :)

Last edited:
One from HK last weekend - Wanchai & Central, through the harbour and Kowloon and back to North Point. Shot as 20 seperate images from the 6th floor of the Excelsior.

5184659226_1d4e3145f4_b.jpg

The Original can be found here... Linky

Some of mine (all from Rome). All clickable for larger versions.

6 shot panorama - insides of one of the Rome churches:

8 (or 10 shots - can't remember) - Vatican square:

6 shots 2 rows - Colosseum:

12 shots 3 rows - inside St.Peter's Basilica:

Last edited:
Some really impressive shots there folks! I'm eager to get out and get a few more fresh ones done now :)

A few I took a while back with my old camera.

Sarah Island, former penal colony on the west coast of Tasmania. Stiitched together from 2 photos

Stahan, a fishing village on the west coast of Tasmania.

St Helens Point, on the east coast of Tasmania

A view over north east Tasmania from the lookout at the top of the Sideling

I am by no means an expert on panos, but if I could offer a few tips for them based solely on my personal experience:
- Always overlap individual images generously; I do a third left/right and top/bottom, depending on direction of stitch.
- Always correct the horizon line or try to keep verticals erm.. vertical.
- Try to avoid subject very close to the lens; i.e. try to stand further back. This avoid distortion in the foreground.

Another:
- Shoot in AP maintaining the f/value constant so that the depth of field does not change.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert on panos, but if I could offer a few tips for them based solely on my personal experience:
- Always overlap individual images generously; I do a third left/right and top/bottom, depending on direction of stitch.
- Always correct the horizon line or try to keep verticals erm.. vertical.
- Try to avoid subject very close to the lens; i.e. try to stand further back. This avoid distortion in the foreground.

Cheers for the tips. But don't be shy now and join in on posting a few shots! :)

A couple from Yorkshire in July:

5191982981_f1fe309fee_b.jpg

5192579872_db1b510d0c_b.jpg

5192579670_25cc8c92a3_b.jpg

Cheers for the tips. But don't be shy now and join in on posting a few shots! :)

Lol, posted a couple already above, but a few more:

That one is unsymetrical as La Grande Arche is on a skew.

That one would be improved if I cloned the people out but I'm not that good at it.

I think a few of you may already have seen my Ribblehead Rollercoaster...

POTY-0410.jpg

Then theres this - a 2 shot pano. from the Alps...

4994415262_2443ecf1b2_b.jpg

and this one from the Pinhole Holga - a single frame of 6x12 120 roll film

4481401318_2f68e601d5_o.jpg

Back