Paper advice please

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a photo of my sister that I want to get professionally printed 10 x 10.

It's a head & shoulders shot and I have no idea what type of paper is best. It's a shot I took on her wedding day, and I will be sending a few out in frames to family.

I was going to go with a canvas, as I virtually always print that way, but I'm not sure that's the best medium for a portrait, and it may be easier for some for it to sit on a shelf rather than hang on a wall.

Anyone?

I need to get these images printed, and as they are for family, I't like to get it right, and quite quickly.

Steve

I would go for a Satin/Lustre/Semi-Gloss type paper, something that isn't a full on gloss.

If you have a Canon printer then I would go for their Canon Pro Luster paper, I have had good results from that using the Canon ICC profiles.

If you are outsourcing then give one of the better labs a call and have a chat, they will be able to make a good recommendation.

What does the image look like? Black & white? Muted colour? Vivid colour?
Is it sharp or soft? Do you want to preserve a sharp crisp look or is it ok/preferred for it to lok softer?

What's it going behind?
Are you printing yourself as David says or is it going to a lab?
Which lab? What's your budget?

Steve

I would go for a Satin/Lustre/Semi-Gloss type paper, something that isn't a full on gloss.

If you have a Canon printer then I would go for their Canon Pro Luster paper, I have had good results from that using the Canon ICC profiles.

If you are outsourcing then give one of the better labs a call and have a chat, they will be able to make a good recommendation.

As you may be able to guess, it's the image of my sister that I want to get printed, 10 x 10 if I can.. I was going to use Trade Canvas Print as they have done all my canvases, and I recommended them to a friend who had some prints done and he was very happy.

As you may be able to guess, it's the image of my sister that I want to get printed, 10 x 10 if I can.. I was going to use Trade Canvas Print as they have done all my canvases, and I recommended them to a friend who had some prints done and he was very happy.

Steve, look at this thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/printers-in-the-uk-for-landscape-images.709379/ pick a lab and ring them up and have a chat,k they will explain paper choices, etc. Its an important image so take your time and get it done right.

As you may be able to guess, it's the image of my sister that I want to get printed, 10 x 10 if I can.

If you want 10x10, most companies will charge you the same price as A3 as it will need to be trimmed. *Personally* I would do an image like that on matt paper. It gives a much softer (and more flattering) feel to the image and mutes the colour somewhat. *Personally* I think this works well on a portrait of a lady. It can also be looked at from any angle without that reflective shine that gloss gives. But as you can see, that's just my personal view.

I had some el-cheapo DSCL prints done of my dad about 10 years ago. They've started to fade and discolour now but I feel no need to get them reprinted. Print quality and colour reproduction are not why I have the images up. They're all I've got left. I strongly suspect that whatever you get the image printed on, no one will be worrying about the quality. It will be all about the memories the image triggers.

Many portraits will print will on high quality matt papers. It's possible to print on a nice baryta paper too. It's impossible to say any more without seeing the actual image and ideally the interior.

Back