Parakeets in my local park

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I went for a stroll through my local park this afternoon with my camera. Managed to get some shots of the wild parakeets there. Unfortunately they didn't hang around long enough for me to notice my lens was back focusing.

Anyway the shots aren't great but thought id put them up for you all to see anyway as they're not the most common of birds in most places in England. I didnt even really edit them, theyre pretty much straight out of camera. Im going to go back and be better prepared this time.

Lee

View attachment 31582 View attachment 31583

Nice first attempt and it's not too hard to get decent photos of these birds.
These are ringed necked parakeets and you'd be surprised how well they have been breeding in Southern England.
They are quite wide spread around North London and also in parts of Berkshire.
Where are you from as it would be interesting to see how far they have spread.
There are various stories about how they got into the wild in England and one of the most famous stories is that they escaped from Pinwood studios while the African Queen was being made.
However, that film was made in 1951 and the population of these birds has exploded within the last 15 years or so.
I'm not a fan of these as they tend to take over woodpecker nests and throw the juveniles out so that they can lay eggs themselves.

Im from Hartlepool in the north east, theyre a long way from London lol.

Ive known they have been in the park for many years but its usually difficult to get photos of them as theyre always sat right the top of the highest trees. I managed to spot this one half way down the tree though, but like i said its not fully in focus as i had reset my camera back to factory settings and had forgot to dial in the fine tune AF for the lens i was using.....DOH.

I will go back to the same place in the park though as they seemed to be feeding out of that hole in the tree. This time I will nail the shot though lol.

Im from Hartlepool in the north east, theyre a long way from London lol.

Blimey that have moved further north and that's interesting to learn.
Breeding season will soon be upon us so hopefully they will be quite active and give you lots of oppunity to get more photos.

Back