Path to Sunset

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Absolutely stunning evening at Bradgate Park in Leicestershire. Old John Tower is on the right with the War Memorial on the left. This is the park that belonged to Lady Jane Grey.

Old John is the highest hill in Leicestershire. The earliest recorded use of the name is on a map of 1754, which records a windmill on the site, some 30 years before the tower was built. The tower itself began life as a ruined folly, built in 1784, during the time of George Grey, 5th Earl of Stamford. He got Thomas Sketchley of Anstey to build him the mock ruin, which had strong similarities to Mow Cop, Staffordshire. It was adapted in the mid-19th century by the seventh Earl to serve as an observation tower for the practice circuit he laid out for his horses, along with the building of a stable block lower down the hill. It is well known for its "mug-shape" — there was a longer section of wall adjoining the tower after the 19th century extension but this reduced in size over the years leaving the present 'handle' shape. The mug shape has given rise to false accounts of the tower's origins supposedly relating to a beer-loving miller who was killed after being hit by a pole during a bonfire [-Wiki]

The path to Sunset by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Old John and the War Memorial by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely colours in the sky. :) I saw the sunset sky tonight out of my kitchen window, when I went out to make my tea. :oops: :$ It was the best sky I have seen for years.

I would be tempted to crop your image maybe 16:9 to have a little less path, which is not the neatest, and to emphasize the sky more.

Reactions: smr
Sky is nice. Foreground not doing much, personally I wouldn’t crop because it’ll end up nearly 50/50 sky and land, when taking the shot I’d have gone 1/3rd land and 2/3rds sky.

Reactions: smr
Lovely colours in the sky. :) I saw the sunset sky tonight out of my kitchen window, when I went out to make my tea. :oops: :$ It was the best sky I have seen for years.

I would be tempted to crop your image maybe 16:9 to have a little less path, which is not the neatest, and to emphasize the sky more.

Thanks, yes I was saying the same thing. I've not seen a sky like that ever, it was absolutely amazing! I haven't done a sunset shot for a few months now so was quite fortunate to pick yesterday for a photo.

Sky is nice. Foreground not doing much, personally I wouldn’t crop because it’ll end up nearly 50/50 sky and land, when taking the shot I’d have gone 1/3rd land and 2/3rds sky.

Thanks Tom, I took the composition with more sky in it but it just didn't work for me. Above that band of cloud there were no other clouds, just blue space and I find the composition awkward without something anchoring it down, given that there wasn't any sort of foreground subject I made the path the interest and used it to add as a leading line as well. I actually quite like the aesthetics of the path and it's ruggedness for some reason.

Stunning sky!!!
The foreground doesn't bother me too much - neither would a crop off the bottom leaving a 50/50 composition ;)

Not too sure about the second image.
Apart from the sky, it seems to be lacking something - don't know what though :rolleyes:

Stunning sky!!!
The foreground doesn't bother me too much - neither would a crop off the bottom leaving a 50/50 composition ;)

Not too sure about the second image.
Apart from the sky, it seems to be lacking something - don't know what though :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike.

Back