weekly Paul's Infrared TP 52 for 2021: Week 19 to 23 Added!

Theme works for me, but initially guessed at a dirty looking sky. First image does it for me too. Interesting subject.

nice landscape image the old machinery adds foreground interest

Right another tenuous link to the theme of Rock / Stone :)

Shot on a Panasonic G3 converted for infrared photography, processed in Lightroom and Silver Efex.

Up early after doing my night shifts and had very limited access to the theme of "Rock / Stone" this week as was also self isolating.
I was sat watching the BBC when I remembered this Salt Rock lamp the wife bought when we were on the Isle of Wight last year. Originally I was going to get a snap of it by moving the ornaments completely out of the way, but then thought a combination of shadow and silhouette will hopefully make it a little more interesting. Of course this may detract the focus from the theme but I don't care, I'm shooting for me, not for you :)
I've included a little behind the scenes shot (iphone only) just to show people you don't always need a fancy setup or studio.

Week 3 - Rock-Stone
by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Week 3 - BTS

Last edited:
It works well Paul.

Carol Kirkwood seems very appreciative.:clap:

I like that a lot. The silhouette of the bull against the lamp really makes it.... As if there's some kind of ancient ritual going on.

Carol Kirkwood's dressed for summer!

Infrared and Silver Efex! Nice result.

I think it works well. We have those little figurines and they are really nicely textured for photography. The soft lighting has worked well here I think.

Rock
You've made a good job of this. Good silhouettes, good exposure on the lamp and the black and white (ir) suite's it well.

This works well in mono. It looks much more "staged" than it really was. It's great to see the background to these shots.

And so, not far from where I live is the once famous (brickworks wise) Stewartby Brickworks. I've included 3 shots (still shooting everything in infrared) and all are panoramas but the one I've chosen for the theme is the first one and was a double row panorama of 7 shots each, so a total of 14 and stitched in lightroom then processed in Silver Efex Pro 2 and that included adding the frame to enclose such a vast landscape. Sadly, lightroom didn't do a fantastic job of the stitching so it's good enough for the web but not for printing, maybe I'll have another go another day.

So the shot for the theme shows the last remaining (70m tall) chimneys, only 4 out of the original 32 at Stewartby Brickworks that was closed in May 2008 after the owners had spent a million pound attempting to meet emissions standards which they obviously didn't. You can also see the kilns which, along with the chimneys, are protected by English Heritage.

Week 4 - Tall

Week 4 - Tall 2

Week 4 - Tall 3

Last edited:
The 4 chimney shot is the one for me. I really like the symmetry, but it's all about the sky with these images. Really nice stuff.

I love shot 1, and IR really works for that. I remember Stewartby from back when it was working, and I was taken there by a friend - I could not believe how red the whole village was. It could not have been remotely legal back then, probably 1995.

I would prefer a much slimmer border, but that is a great image. Maybe 5 steps to the right?

(Hate to think how you got where you stood to take the shot. If you're going back post-lockdown, I'm in!)

stone - lovely set up the figurines really make the image.
Tall - I like the first one, the frame suits it.

Last edited:
Tall. Prefer the second shot by far. First and third ones are mostly sky and don't hold my attention but that middle one is very gritty and smells of dereliction.

#2 for me Paul, I also remember the area very well.

Tall
1 and 3 are my picks. Those clouds look just great. Nothing to add really, just great effort and work all round.

Prefer number 1, although all of them are great, 2 and 3 don't make me think tall as much with the buildings being visible around the same height, even though it's related to perspective

Rock - great, and nice to see the setup. The silhouette works well.

Tall - #1 for me too. The symmetry and shot in the background work really well together in that one for me.

Shot #1 for me. The sky is the star, and that composition shows it off best.

Hats off for the amount of work in that pano.. it looks great. However, something about #3 really grabs me. I love the sky in all three - it adds so much to the barren feel of the images.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I do like all 3 of the shots and hard to chose a favourite, just feel the first catches the theme best as it shows all 4 of the last chimneys that remain. I feel like Ill be visiting here again at some point. :cool:

As for Snappers choice, is it only me that found it hard when given free rein? I had a few ideas none of which came off except my last one. Those that may have seen the gardening thread will know Ive recommissioned my greenhouse and started some growing and one of the first tomato seedlings came up only yesterday! So, that and my new (to me) macro lens just had to be used!!

Background wise this is the first of my Tomato seedlings which are Sweet Million F1 (cherry tomatoes) I shot everything in the greenhouse which has a nice diffuse lighting due to the cloud and bubblewrap thats in there for insulation. Then it was a case of setting the camera up on tripod, setting the olympus 60mm lens on 1:1, putting it in manual focus, focussing on the leaves, taking the shot then taking a shot of the stem in focus too and then blending the 2 in photoshop. The G3 doesn't focus stack unlike my Olympus EM1, however I had to use the G3 to continue my challenge of doing if all in infrared.

Week 5 - SnappersChoice

Fabulous tall shots! I think the first is my favourite.

I also don't really like being given free rein, although I took some photos this morning and will put one of those in if I can't come up with something else. (I have an idea!)

I was wondering why you didn't do the in camera stacking and then realised, infra red! You've done well with just two shots to get such a blurry background and still get the fine hairs in focus. I think it would have been nice to see all of the two leaves in focus whilst you were at it, but I don't know if that is a lot more work. I love my Oly for focus stacking and I haven't done much of doing it the long way.

Fabulous tall shots! I think the first is my favourite.

I also don't really like being given free rein, although I took some photos this morning and will put one of those in if I can't come up with something else. (I have an idea!)

I was wondering why you didn't do the in camera stacking and then realised, infra red! You've done well with just two shots to get such a blurry background and still get the fine hairs in focus. I think it would have been nice to see all of the two leaves in focus whilst you were at it, but I don't know if that is a lot more work. I love my Oly for focus stacking and I haven't done much of doing it the long way.

Aye, it took me ages and am very new to proper macro and could have got a few more at different focus for the leaves but had real difficulty as it was a real heath robinson setup and a bit wobbly :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That's very nice. Obviously something little & delicate.

The wafer thin DOF is cool, and the harshness of the plant against the background, gives it a real simple graphic look.

Lovely image - the shallow dof makes the leaves appear to reach out of the shot

Choice
It looks better on Flickr, on here it looks a bit blown out. Nicely diffused background.

Your infra-red 52 is definitely inspiring - and this is a very nice example of where it works well! The very pale (in IR) leaves stand out beautifully against the background.

Back