pausing hare

Nice to see some more Stu , I like how the Whiskas stand out , looks quite young to me , last years Leveret you think ?

That's a good question Mark ....I really don't know is my honest answer..........I've always thought by a year old they would look pretty much like an adult...which is what I thought this was, TBH.
I'm all but sure this is the same hare as last images buddy

Mark I have very few hares I can track as they age, I've seen and followed little leverets up to a goodly size over the summer season, they grow very quickly but more that i'm frankly all but clueless.

I was hoping to catch up with a lass I call "bobble" she's some form of nose injury, which lets me ID her,ha she's a big red thing :D I've a few images of her across the years. I really wish I could find a way to ID all of 'em Mark it would grow my knowledge of them so damn much. if I knew who was who

I have wondered if the content of black in a tail is a unique trait ,but not easy to get to grips with as I tend to want to make piccies of the other end:LOL:

Mate what makes you think a young un?

Hey Stu . Just the look of him / her to be honest , it looks to me like the ears still have a bit of growing to do ? Think it was Summer before last , I sat on a Wood edge watching for many hours Hares emerge onto a field from ripening crop till it got cut and eventually ploughed over . I see a few individual Hares of all ages and sizes it seemed . From Leverets right the way through to some big uns , you know the ones you do a double take at because you think someone's Dog is coming your way . :) . Yours reminded me of what I call the teen age stage , it was happy chasing and playing with the Leveret , yet taking an interest in the adults too . I could be way off , I just assumed by the size and behaviour of what I witnessed that they were likely last years Leverets , but could just as well of been from early litters of the same year too . They breed over a long period as you know , impossible to age really . I read they are full grown at 6 months . :thinking:

I don't always trust what I read about hares it's tough :LOL: Cheers for the great reply mate

To me ,six months will give you some semblance of adult size but waaaay leaner, probably late summer short coat don't help ( largely my experience , but there's that feeling it's big but not filled out? I know from Taz and Blaze, Mark, they really grow FAST !! I understand you completely the behaviours Mark of a teen ,I've seen that same thing still think it's older ,but you are looking at a couple of pics me the hare, and I still might be wrong:)

I've pics in feb somewhere of a leveret that looks like it is around 12 weeks old:banghead:................. they breed over a long time frame age ID the whole shebang is complex, that's why I don't terribly trust what I read alot of times I see different

Ha ha OMG there's a dog coming towards me with MASSIVE ears :ROFLMAO:

yup that's em:)

I see all manner of shape form colour differnt eye colours different fur colour they molt and turn into a new being . I can't yet fathom them mate, I've a hunch I've got a fair handle on a boy and a girl , but nowt else really. :(

The more you learn just makes one aware of how little one really knows;) !!

Bud I need sleep must go

take care

Back