Paying customs and VAT.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting a water drop kit off this bloke in America and he said when it arrives in the UK That I'd have to pay VAT, customs charges and postage. Am I right in thinking that the US have a $200 limit before the customs charge you? He said he puts a value of $149 on the box, therefore I should only have to pay VAT and postage. Also if I do go ahead and order this kit, how would I go about paying the extra for the VAT and postage? He said it would get passed onto Royal Mail when it enters the UK.

My local post office couldn't even tell me so if anyone knows please enlighten me lol. I don't want to order something then have it held hostage because I don't know how to pay for it lol.

Often when a postal package arrives that is due Customs and Excise duties/VAT etc then the Post Ofice will send you a slip and ask you to go to the deppot and pay to receive it. If the package is sent with a courier then they may contact either before or after delivery for the money plus handling charges.

As Duncan says depending on the delivery method you'll either get a card or a call. You'll pay any applicable duty, VAT, and a handling charge which IIRC last time I paid it was between £9-11.

Last edited:
I've no idea on the triggers your looking at but have you looked at the from a UK source and they happen to be members here (y) so after support is better than any other product in its class :D

http://www.phototriggers.co.uk/

It's nothing to do with the US, the charges are levied by UK HMRC. Expect to pay full VAT plus any applicable import duty.

I'll not bother after all that lol Cheers. It was a whole kit like the Splash Art single valve kit but instead of dropping two drops like the Splash Art kit it dropped three. Had a look at that phototriggers on here and deciding whether I want to go with one of those kits or the splash art. Not too sure yet, I've no experience with anything like this.

Am I right in thinking that the US have a $200 limit before the customs charge you?

Almost. It's the UK and it's £15.

I picked up a package from the PO the other day which was worth $90. I paid £26.04 in fees. Including VAT on the arbitrary £8 the Post Office charged me for paying them money.

ETA: Oh yeah. I keep meaning to sell my water drop kit. I'll have a rummage in the cupboard and post it in the classifieds......

Last edited:
Almost. It's the UK and it's £15.

I picked up a package from the PO the other day which was worth $90. I paid £26.04 in fees. Including VAT on the arbitrary £8 the Post Office charged me for paying them money.

ETA: Oh yeah. I keep meaning to sell my water drop kit. I'll have a rummage in the cupboard and post it in the classifieds......

Send me a pm if you manage to find it and post it in the classifieds and I'll have a nosey.:)

Back