Peak District weekend (56k?)

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
We had a brief weekend break in the Peak District.

More of a day visit really with a bit seen on the way there and way back. We stayed at a hotel in Hathersage. Weather was 95% dull but it didn't rain so can't complain.

Headed for the reservoirs first

First spot meant going between some big green pipes
pd01.jpg

The view
pd02.jpg

First wall of water
pd03.jpg

Wonder how many times this sign has been photographed
pd04.jpg

Overlook
pd05.jpg

At the end of the road along the reservoirs (if you stop at the stone bridge!)
pd06.jpg

Looking back
pd07.jpg

Sun made a fleeting appearance on the way back
pd08.jpg

Nice to have a bit of light
pd09.jpg

Came across some abandoned water mills when out for a drive
pd10.jpg

Smaller wheel down by the water
pd11.jpg

Upstream to the mills
pd12.jpg

Hotel window view. Got another with light trails but think I prefer it without.
pd13.jpg

Some interesting subjects there Rob, looks like the light wasn't doing you any favours!

I like the snowy river and the first wall of water - pity there are no sounds attached it must have sounded phenomenal!

A couple look like prime HDR candidates 2,3 and 4 for example.

Keep 'em coming!

Very nice, Robert. Like John said, the light wasnt good to you, but you have some lovely shots there. Stunning place isnt it.
I had more snow than you when I was up there...but then my peaks are bigger than yours!!;) :LOL:

Some nice stuff there Rob. Agree with light comments. Some use of Shadow/highlight tool might help. Also local contrast enhancement helps (Try unsharp mask at settings 5-20,30-100,0).

HTH! (y)

:agree: it is a stunning place... and what a difference the sun makes.
Some very good shots there Rob

Nice Robert.
I see you found the old watermill nr Ashford in the Water :) I drive past there every day and always kept thinking of shooting that weir.
Some nice shots of ladybower and surrounding areas.
Hope you enjoyed your stay? cant make out the last one? Castleton or Hope??

Last one was looking out the window of the George Hotel in Hathersage.

I've had a play today with some other images trying HDR from the single RAW file but the light was just too drab to get much from them.

I was round that mill at around 2pm and had to use fill flash for shots of the ironwork!

It is easy to see how good it would all look in better weather :) Even at this time of year many of the car parking places were full - I could not stop at the high point of 'snake pass' as there were no spaces in the pull ins.

Great pics there Robert! (y)
Went there back in the old days when I was in high school! lovely area, REALLY must go back! Did you not visit the matching partners to the dam? ;)

Did you not visit the matching partners to the dam? ;)

:thinking:

I noticed there were 2 similar overflowing dams if that is what you mean :)

Yup, I take it by your confusion you have no idea what the dams mean?

Very perceptive :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In May 1943 in the height of WW2 a man called 'Barnes Wallace' used the derwent dams to devise a plan to starve the artillery producing factorys of the Ruhr from power. You see the germans had two indenticle dams both of which were protected by torpedo nets to prevent submersibles or divers planting explosives. Mr Wallace devised a plan while skimming stones on a lake, "bounce the bombs over the surface of the reservoirs and drop them down behind the nets to then detonate". However there was a flaw in his plan he needed to find out the EXACT postion to drop the bombs while the Lancasters flew low over the reservoirs. The bombers used two pencils lined up with the towers on the dam to pinpoint the postion. This method was to be the downfall of the Germans and the rest as they say is history! (y)

I knew those old war flicks would come in handy! (plus it helps being in a scout group named after the fella! kinda made to remember the history!);)

In true 'Starship Troopers' style... 'DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE??' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

I knew about the bouncing bomb being tested there. I remember the light beams used for height setting in the film too :)

Still don't get the 'matching partners' reference...but never mind :)

Back