Pearl-bordered Fritillaries

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I finally managed to get out and have a proper go with my new EOS R5 this morning, at one of the N. Yorkshire Pearl-bordered Fritillary sites. I still need to get to grips with focus settings, but I came away with some nice images. I found a mating pair of Frits which were happy to stay put, so I was able to set up my tripod and try out the focus bracketing feature. Frankly, this is set to be my favourite thing about this camera, as I tried manual focus stacks last year, but had a number of image sets spoiled by a gust of wind, or the butterfly moving its antennae!

Pearl-bordered Fritillary (Boloria euphrosyne). by Dave O'Brien, on Flickr

This one's a single image.

This is a stack of 8 images.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Some great shots there and you are lucky to see them, I am in the Southeast of France and have not seen any yet except QOS and Glanvilles but if I move area I do see Knapweed or Spotted fritillaries.
I guess in the UK you have that cooler airstream for the moment that helps keep the Butterflies not so flighty.

Lovely shots, well done. What a beautiful butterfly

Thanks Alan!

Some great shots there and you are lucky to see them, I am in the Southeast of France and have not seen any yet except QOS and Glanvilles but if I move area I do see Knapweed or Spotted fritillaries.
I guess in the UK you have that cooler airstream for the moment that helps keep the Butterflies not so flighty.

Wow, I'm a little envious at the species you have there!
The individual butterfly was quite flighty, but the mating pair were settled on a stone and showed no inclination to move so I had plenty of opportunity for photos.

Cheers,

Dave

The underwings are spectacular - lovely set

Les :)

Very nicely done

Very nicely done

Thanks Alf!

A lovely species to see, an great images. Mating shots are always a bonus too.
These are on my "Hit List", as they dont occur in Kent!! which would mean me making the effort, to travel around the UK, an sight/photograph all the Butterflies that i have yet to see.
One day, i will do this...hopefully.

Thanks Paul! This is the first time I've found mating pair of this species since my first sighting in 1996!
I'm not sure where your nearest colony would be, but they'd be worth the effort to see them, as they're a stunning species.
Cheers,

Dave

Really nice shots
I went a couple of days ago to see them at a local site didn’t manage any photos but still nice to see them

Back