Pearl-bordered Fritillary

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
For once, the weather was in my favour when trying to photograph these butterflies, just cool enough for them to stay settled and allowing me time to set up my tripod. This was taken with a Canon Eos550d + Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens, ISO200, 1/40s @ f14. Off-camera flash was used, pointing down at the butterfly to bring out the texture of the wings. Critique & comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Pearl-bordered Fritillary 4031 by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Very nice shot (y) composition looks good as does the BG

Can't say I've seen one of these before :) Nice flutterby

Framing might be a little central for some but it doesn't look too bad to me :)

That's a great shot Dave, good detail & lovely colours. Maybe just a bit cropped from the right would improve composition.(y)

George

Thanks all for the comments (y)
I freely admit that I don't have much of an eye for composition. When I get it right it's generally more by accident than design!

Dave

great shot Dave, I've never seen one, must look it up!

........ as Etienne says ...... you could push it over to the right a bit to get a more balanced composition

That appears to me Dave to be much better.(y)

George.

Beautiful well found the pearls aren't very common

Very well taken :clap: love the colours and the B/G just sets it off perfectly.
Clive

Thanks again for the comments & advice (y).

LCPete, the PBF is Yorkshire's rarest butterfly, being confined to only 3 sites (and for about 10 years, only 2, until it re-colonised a site it had gone extinct from, following extensive management work to improve the habitat)

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The crop is more saturated in appearance than the original in fact the colouring is more as I would expect in OP maybe its a mix of WB and saturation changes between the two.

I would drag the crop back towards blue slightly and saturation.

But I'm clearly seeing things different from all those above :D

Got some rare butterflies round here I need to find so well done on find a rarity. (y)

Now this is curious I have just saved the image to have a little edit as you allow that but the image looks fine in photo viewer but noticeably more orange on here/Flickr this is strange.

It's curious that you think the cropped image is more saturated, as all I did to the original was crop it! I didn't touch the saturation at all.

Now this is curious I have just saved the image to have a little edit as you allow that but the image looks fine in photo viewer but noticeably more orange on here/Flickr this is strange.

What browser are you using Bryn? I'm wondering if it could be the colour management issue I wrote about here in my journey thread. On my (Windows 7) system Photo Viewer appears to be using colour management. If that is the case on your system, and the browser you are using isn't using colour management, then there will be a difference in (some) colours.

What browser are you using Bryn? I'm wondering if it could be the colour management issue I wrote about here in my journey thread. On my (Windows 7) system Photo Viewer appears to be using colour management. If that is the case on your system, and the browser you are using isn't using colour management, then there will be a difference in (some) colours.

Maybe the case use Chrome but the effect is only seen on the cropped version which is what is throwing me and why I thought it was over saturated. If everyone saw what I am sure they would agree. :D

Back