Critique Pen y Fan from Ponsticill

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All,

This morning I made my way to Pontsticill reservoir in order to catch a photograph of the reservoir and Pen y Fan in the background lit by the morning light. To cut a long story short, it appears my sun predictions were off by quite a margin and as such Pen y Fan wasn't lit until quite a bit after sunrise (I think it maybe significantly better in autumn). There wasn't much colour in the sky but the pastel colours of dawn and flat calm waters made for a serene start to the day. The photograph is below...

Pen-y-Fan from Pontsticill
by James

Comments and criticism are welcome as always,
James

Thanks Craig,

That photograph of yours is along the lines of what I was after. I've had a look on TPE and it seems that Pen y Fan will be front lit in January so it could prove a worthwhile exercise going back then especially if there's snow about.

James

Serene. Perfect description.
The kind of shot that makes you feel like there's no one else in the world.

Serene. Perfect description.
The kind of shot that makes you feel like there's no one else in the world.

It's what I like about being up at dawn. I work in an office that is constantly hectic so being up and out at dawn where there's nothing other than the song of birds and the rustle of the trees is absolutely sublime. I love it but I've not had the chance to make the effort to get out much this year but hopefully this will be the turning point of the year (albeit seven months in). The wife and I are driving down through Alps from Annecy to Menton in the summer so that should be the perfect opportunity for landscape work.

James

Some nice reflections there James, there is something special about being alone in the wilderness at dawn. It is always special even if its peeing down albeit not very comfortable. Its never easy to pin down a location and of course the apps help but it often takes a few visits to get the shot you are really after. I use photo pills its a great all and has really useful tools all in one app.
Bet you can't wait to get back in January of course you might also have the added bonus of a bit of snow or frost then to

Hope you have a great trip to the Alps too(y)

Some nice reflections there James, there is something special about being alone in the wilderness at dawn. It is always special even if its peeing down albeit not very comfortable. Its never easy to pin down a location and of course the apps help but it often takes a few visits to get the shot you are really after. I use photo pills its a great all and has really useful tools all in one app.
Bet you can't wait to get back in January of course you might also have the added bonus of a bit of snow or frost then to

Hope you have a great trip to the Alps too(y)

Thanks, Steve. I use TPE but I'm still yet to work out how I can predict how high in the sky the sun will be at a given time but like you said, it'll take a few visits to really get to know somewhere.

James

Aye, autumn colours and sunlight and this will work.

Ideally, and I don't know if possible, I'd have tried to compose this without the rocky embankments that scream man made lake.

Thanks for that. I hadn't given much thought to the shoreline and it giving away that it's a man made lake.

James

I really like the results, yes the sky would look better with more colour but the reflections more than make up for it and the composition is great.

Thanks, Steve. I use TPE but I'm still yet to work out how I can predict how high in the sky the sun will be at a given time but like you said, it'll take a few visits to really get to know somewhere.

James
If you get the opportunity just have a look at the website of photopills. The App is brillant in my view, I could go through all the functions here but I probably wouldn't do it justice, It is everything in one App.
It has an excellent function, they have what they call augmented reality is brilliant! So I can stand at a location and look though my phones camera and see exactly (for example) where and when the sun is going to rise (or Set) over those rocks. It displays the scene in front of you just like you were going to take a picture with your phone, and overlays an arc over the picture showing the path of the sun and also where the sun will bisect the horizon. Along the path of the arc is a timeline showing where the sun will be at specific times.
Same with Moon and same with Milky Way.
It also includes a full blown planner which I have used often. Sun, which is all things associated with the sun, same with Moon and stars.
Calculators for Exposure, DOF, Hyperfocal Distance, FOV, Focal Length, Star Trails, Time Lapse and so on.
BTW it also takes into account the camera (camera's) you use so you can select your make and model and flick between
I do not have any connection with this company but just want to share a really good app http://www.photopills.com/ Take a look!

As there is a thread at the moment about landscapes can you tell us what lens you used as this is a lovely example of the genre.
Matt

As there is a thread at the moment about landscapes can you tell us what lens you used as this is a lovely example of the genre.
Matt
The Exif on Flickr says Nikon D7200 with 10.0-20.0 mm f/4.0-5.6 @13.0 mm, ƒ/11.0, 1/10sec, ISO 100

If you get the opportunity just have a look at the website of photopills. The App is brillant in my view, I could go through all the functions here but I probably wouldn't do it justice, It is everything in one App.
It has an excellent function, they have what they call augmented reality is brilliant! So I can stand at a location and look though my phones camera and see exactly (for example) where and when the sun is going to rise (or Set) over those rocks. It displays the scene in front of you just like you were going to take a picture with your phone, and overlays an arc over the picture showing the path of the sun and also where the sun will bisect the horizon. Along the path of the arc is a timeline showing where the sun will be at specific times.
Same with Moon and same with Milky Way.
It also includes a full blown planner which I have used often. Sun, which is all things associated with the sun, same with Moon and stars.
Calculators for Exposure, DOF, Hyperfocal Distance, FOV, Focal Length, Star Trails, Time Lapse and so on.
BTW it also takes into account the camera (camera's) you use so you can select your make and model and flick between
I do not have any connection with this company but just want to share a really good app http://www.photopills.com/ Take a look!

Many thanks Steve, I've just found it on the play store so will have a look over the next few days. The forecast is pretty dire this weekend so I can't see me getting out and about (that said I've also got quite a bit on).

James

Many thanks Steve, I've just found it on the play store so will have a look over the next few days. The forecast is pretty dire this weekend so I can't see me getting out and about (that said I've also got quite a bit on).

James
There is a pretty good explanation of all the functions on the actual web site .... Its worth a look anyway... If you do end up getting it let us know what you think, I find it very useful.

Back