Penduline Tit

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to Plock Court, Gloucester this morning to see this little visitor. Someone posted a photo of it on here recently. It moves between the trees at the back of the the two small bullrush ponds and the ponds. It was in the trees when I arrived but soon went to the ponds. It's befriended a stonechat too. Lol. They can be seen together although I didn't see the stonechat this morning. It was the first outing for my Sigma 150 -600 mm Contemporary lens on my 1D1V. First proper outing for me too after a nasty chest infection so it was good to get out after a few weeks confined to barracks. The sun was shining but it was quite windy. Maybe it wasn't the best conditions to see how the new lens performed re. the wind. Those of us there were cursing the wind as the bird clung fast to whichever swaying bullrush it was on so we had to wait for a lull in the gusts to fire off.

I eventually decided to use manual focus because sometimes other bullrushes swung across the field of view…and also to go to 1/2000 sec. from 1/1600 sec with ISO on Auto that went to 1000 -1600..not too bad,really.. I used f 6.3 at first and then f8. A young man there, who was familiar with Sigma lenses, suggested I go to f8 for a sharper photo. The second photo was taken at f6.3, the rest at f8.

f8 1/2000 sec ISO 1000
2aikol3.jpg

f6.3 1/2000sec. ISO 1000
6pyf6c.jpg

f8. 1/2000 sec. ISO 1600
egedm8.jpg

1/2000sec f8 ISO 1250
15x4kdl.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got to see it John but not the best of weather with the strong winds today.
I think you were brave trying manual focus with all the movement, a quieter day and these would have been much sharper I am sure.
1st shot is my favourite, just looks nicely tucked up against the reed head ... is that a ring on its left leg or just light/reflection?

You don't see many of them, that's for sure. It's a gorgeous bird and well recorded.

As Gramps says, I think you'd probably nail the focus better on a quieter day.

Glad you got to see it John but not the best of weather with the strong winds today.
I think you were brave trying manual focus with all the movement, a quieter day and these would have been much sharper I am sure.
1st shot is my favourite, just looks nicely tucked up against the reed head ... is that a ring on its left leg or just light/reflection?

Thanks, Roger. I have form for trying the near impossible.lol. Hopefully, it will still be there when we have a calmer weather pattern.

You don't see many of them, that's for sure. It's a gorgeous bird and well recorded.

As Gramps says, I think you'd probably nail the focus better on a quieter day.

Thanks, Dale. It can certainly be a frustrating hobby at times.

is that a ring on its left leg or just light/reflection?

I'd say It's rung gramps, you can see some of the numbers in the third shot (y)

Great bird to capture John :)

I'd say It's rung gramps, you can see some of the numbers in the third shot (y)

Great bird to capture John :)

Cheers, Ian. Many disappointed photographers on this one due to days of wind or stiff breezes,if there's a difference lol.

Oh dear , I forgot to answer Gramp's question and you're right, Ian, it was ringed.

Back