Penmon Point Lighthouse (again)

You need to get a spirit level, the horizon is slightly out :) and the first image you managed to get the foreground dip in the rocks aligned with the lighthouse, slightly off putting, great subject and ideas though.

Last edited:
You need to get a spirit level, the horizon is slightly out :) and the first image you managed to get the foreground dip in the rocks aligned with the lighthouse, slightly off putting, great subject and ideas though.

the alignment with the gap in the rocks was deliberate, the horizons, impossible for me to get level it seems, though the deviation is minimal. Tried the ruler tool in both LR and PS with limited success :/

the alignment with the gap in the rocks was deliberate, the horizons, impossible for me to get level it seems, though the deviation is minimal. Tried the ruler tool in both LR and PS with limited success :/
If you struggle with the horizon, quick tip, use the square selection tool to draw a box from the right hand edge of the lighthouse where it meets the sea all the way to the top right of the image, copy and paste,you now have two layers, the copy is on top of the background, now got back to the background and simply clone a tiny slither of the sea from left to right, the top layer will hide any over spill and you will be left with a perfectly level line. Should take less than 10seconds and be totally unnoticeable.

If you struggle with the horizon, quick tip, use the square selection tool to draw a box from the right hand edge of the lighthouse where it meets the sea all the way to the top right of the image, copy and paste,you now have two layers, the copy is on top of the background, now got back to the background and simply clone a tiny slither of the sea from left to right, the top layer will hide any over spill and you will be left with a perfectly level line. Should take less than 10seconds and be totally unnoticeable.

thanks I'll give that a go

So much easier just to go to crop in PS, then use the straighten tool (top tool bar), draw a line one side to the other across the horizon and hit done!

I seem to be incapable of doing this properly :)

I would drag a guide line down and set it on the horizon far right then another far left. Then with SNAP on use the straighten tool and snap to the guide lines where they meet the horizon. Set the guides while zoomed in for a more accurate placement.

Number 1 for me - better light, the notch aligned and a more interesting sky. 2 needs to be mono.

The horizon isn't terrible, but is an easy fix.

looked at the horizon on the 2nd image, 0.03 rotate to the left and dropped a guide along the horizon. Far left and far right are now level, but the centre is higher than the two edges, movement of the water presumably or curvature of the earth (unlikely)? Never looked that closely before, interesting

So much easier just to go to crop in PS, then use the straighten tool (top tool bar), draw a line one side to the other across the horizon and hit done!
unless of course your lens has introduced a slight curve curve ! the straighten tool isn't that accurate. each to there own.

unless of course your lens has introduced a slight curve curve ! the straighten tool isn't that accurate. each to there own.
A little perspective warp to counter lens distortion but it's all down to how the photo is to be used. I have seen many 'professionally' set up photos where the photographer hasn't been 'picky' enough and 'errors' have slipped through the most people don't notice.

So long as mine are level edge to edge, if theres slight curvature then so be it, I'm not THAT anal :LOL:

looked at the horizon on the 2nd image, 0.03 rotate to the left and dropped a guide along the horizon. Far left and far right are now level, but the centre is higher than the two edges, movement of the water presumably or curvature of the earth (unlikely)? Never looked that closely before, interesting

Just a little pincushion distorsion from the lens - there's a control for that in the manual lens adjustment section of Lightroom if you want to fix it.

Just a little pincushion distorsion from the lens - there's a control for that in the manual lens adjustment section of Lightroom if you want to fix it.

it's not noticeable to the naked eye, and lens profile correction is applied in LR (although I haven't adjusted the distortion slider), so I'm not losing any sleep over it

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/correcting-image-distortion-noise.html

not an issue with the lenses I use (despite the above discussion) but if you have loooooooooong lenses this may be useful

I knew about lens profiles but hadn't realised that they could be adjusted manually, assumed they were fixed for the specific lens. After a bit play I've found where they can be adjusted if the auto lens correction defaults are still off.

Might be useful if I ever want a touch of fisheye or my 150-600 lens shows signs of unwanted distortion. Thanks

Back