Pentax ES II Metering Advice - UPDATE: NOW FIXED

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
I purchased the above camera from Mrcad this week and it arrived this afternoon. I must admit that I am not that familiar with Pentax cameras as this is the first one i've owned, but I think it may have a fault.

Now as far as I am aware with a non SMC lens the metering works in stop down mode and I should set the camera to 'Automatic', select the aperture and half press the shutter for a reading. Now this seems to produce a reading, however I have found that the reading remains the same no matter what I set the ASA dial to.

So am I being a bit thick and missing something, or is the camera fauly?

Any help and advice on this camera would be appreciated.

Regards

Darren

Yeh ive gone through the manual and as far as I can tell followed it correctly.

I can get the meter to give me a reading in automatic stop down mode, but the fact that the reading remains the same no matter what the Asa dial is set to suggests a possible problem to me.

Just want to be sure before I contact them about returning it as it was listed on their site as fully working.

I did once own an Electro Spotmatic, but sold it when I bought my Pentax ME, ie in about 1978, so I'm afraid I have no idea how to operate it! It was, however, a fairly simple and (to me) fool-proof camera that produced some excellent results, so well worth having. The symptoms you describe however, seem completely wrong to me. I'd get back to them... otherwise, it's £90 or so for a CLA...

I did once own an Electro Spotmatic, but sold it when I bought my Pentax ME, ie in about 1978, so I'm afraid I have no idea how to operate it! It was, however, a fairly simple and (to me) fool-proof camera that produced some excellent results, so well worth having. The symptoms you describe however, seem completely wrong to me. I'd get back to them... otherwise, it's £90 or so for a CLA...

Thanks for your input.

The more I'm reading about it the more I'm bow convinced it is an issue with the ASA dial as its really not that complicated to operate.

Forgive my stupidity but what's a CLA?

Well I haven't used a ES II but other than changing the ASA dial setting......Does the meter reading change when pointing the camera in shadows or bright subjects? If same reading send the camera back.

Well I haven't used a ES II but other than changing the ASA dial setting......Does the meter reading change when pointing the camera in shadows or bright subjects? If same reading send the camera back.

Yes when I change the aperture or lighting conditions the meter needle does move as it should.

I've checked it against some of my other cameras and it appears to be metering at around 64iso in comparison. But changing the dial makes no difference at all.

CLA...clean, lubricate and adjust

Just a little update on this: I sent the camera back to Mr Cad on Thursday afternoon, and received back again yesterday all fixed and working as it should. I have to say it was fantastic service from those guys turning it round so quickly. It turned out that the ASA dial assembly had come loose so not only could it be turned without lifting, it meant it wasn't making contact to change the ASA for the meter reading.

Thanks for the input from all on here.

Back