Critique Peregrine again (more added 22/2)

Edit My Images
Yes
I had thought the weather was meant to be junk for the foreseeable, but while doing some admin yesterday I noticed the light coming through the window was quite bright. I decided to race down to the coast to try and spot the Peregrine before the sun went too far west again, leaving it back-lit.
When I got there, I discovered it was blowing a gale, the bird wasn't there, and I nearly gave up. I decided to practice BIF shots on the gulls around the head where I've seen the falcon roost, and after an hour or so was surprised that it came in to land fairly close above my head!
When I turned around to see what had landed, it took off and moved along the cliff a bit, allowing me a few shots as it came to land and then about a billion of it perched (I'll just post my favourite one [emoji23]) again the sun was nearly too far gone, so in the flight shots I've had to recover the shadows fairly heavily and they're all significant crops. That being said, it was an unexpected pleasure and I enjoyed it greatly.

Peregrine by Luke Case, on Flickr

No.1 and No.2 are good flight shots, as it's never easy...but No.3 is the winner for me, admittedly not the best angle, but I'd be very happy with that image.

Some nice side lighting, interesting formation of the lichen covered sandstone and the Peregrine all make for a very pleasing image.

Cheers Andy, I prefer the third as well. I was surprised how much detail came back in the first two; on camera they looked like full silhouettes and I thought they'd have to stay that way.
If the weather ever plays ball, I think if I can get an encounter mid morning the lighting will be more direct, although that may make the cliff behind look bland if it's evenly lit.
There's loads of rabbits in the area, so the absolute dream is a photo of the falcon carrying a bunny over the sea on approach to the cliff!

Looking good, Luke...I like them both and your processing looks spot on.

The first shot of the second set is excellent. The light on all of the shots of the perched peregrine is perfect but I think the pose in that shot is the winner. Nice one.

oh yes set 2 No1 stunning

I think the first 2 have worked well under the circumstances, they would've been belters with some light on them but your processing has worked well.

Shot 4 is the one, love it, light on that is beautiful and a good head angle too. I like the head angle on the last one too but number 4 is a bit special.

Thanks Les and Dale!

A bit of good fortune being in the right place at the right time and a good bit of luck I think [emoji16] I'll take it though!

Back